If I am 22 and never had a gf, is working EMS making it more difficult?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LifeOfAMedicStudent

Forum Crew Member
Don't get me wrong, I have a passion for EMS. However, between working 24 hour shifts and going to medic school, I have no social life. When I am not working or going to school, I am too fatigued to get out and be social. I spend a lot of time online and sleeping.

I don't think the smoking habit helps either, as that fatigues me even more.

But I have seriously never had a girlfriend before and I am 22 (23 this year). Besides being extremely picky, I feel I don't have time. Being alone like this just eats at me, but I definitely will not give up EMS.

Is my devotion to EMS part of the problem, or am I just making excuses?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
IMG_6425.JPG

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAMedicStudent

Forum Crew Member
Haha...very funny

But I am not blaming medic school. I am just saying I took an untraditional route in life.

Most people I know met their SO in school. I am in medic school, but because my class is dominated by males, I don't have that many options.

But even before that, I didn't really interact much in high school. Post-high-school, I mainly just interact with people I met in EMS.

Finding a woman is hard

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I know a lot of people who were able to balance medic school, a full time job, and a girlfriend all at the same time with not many problems.

Yes EMS is dominated by males but there are still females in the field and obviously outside of the field. You can either stay antisocial or you can branch out and meet other people. Luckily I was able to meet my girlfriend while working and she is along the same lines of work as I am so that makes it really easy.

Smoking definitely does not help. I could see a 10/10 woman and if she smokes it goes straight down to a 0/10.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't mean to be a prick or anything, but is it a girl you seek?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Got married the second week of didactic, found out wife was pregnant by cardiology, out came our oldest daughter by internship.

Still concerned? Reference my signature below.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
There's this thing called the internet that nullifies all your excuses. Seriously, internet dating is crazy easy (unless you're ugly, I guess).

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Not wanting to date during medic school is fine. Not much of an excuse though. Neither is the job itself (hours), pickyness, being short, or your goals. I am done with school, but pretty much everyone of those I relate to and I just asked a girl out like 2 days ago. That's working full time, a part time class schedule, and other little random time commitments I have during the week that make our schedules not so compatible. Just gotta do it and figure it out as you go.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
We need a good thread on here with genuine intellectual questions and responses about pertinent medical topics.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Last edited:

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I didn't have a gf when I enlisted and went through Basic, AIT, Airborne School etc and still not when I went on my first deployment to Afghansitan.....why's not having one in Paramedic School a problem? If anything it's one less distraction from your study's, and keep in mind there are people going through (and passing) medic school who are married with kids and make time for their families and studies as well so anything's possible.

But yeah, stop the smoking, start working out instead, that'll help your fatigue issue, as well as help body image issues.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
While i don't even think this should be a topic, i'll throw something into the sht pot. My top tips to you would be.
1. Hunker down, figure out what you want. I went to school worked 2 jobs, and played college lacrosse, and still held a steady girlfriend(fiance now)
2. as mentioned above, quit smoking, start working out, and always find time where you can go out and unwind. (even people in medical(not medic) school do that every now and again)
3. I now work full time parole(50+ hrs a week), EMS every week/2weeks, my fiance works as a chef, our work schedules don't align very well, so you will need to learn how to sacrifice things, which in my opinion based on reading your posts here, you don't know yet.
4. In my honest opinion your making excuses, I have a friend/work buddy who's been in EMS(critical care now) for quite some time now (10+yrs), who works 24's, has 3 kids, a wife, mortgage, going back to school, and takes care of his parents. If he can do that, i think you can get to a bar once every 2 weeks and get a few numbers here and there (after starting step 2).

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I have a friend/work buddy who's been in EMS(critical care now) for quite some time now (10+yrs), who works 24's, has 3 kids, a wife, mortgage, going back to school.
Ha, that sounds a lot like my situation, he sounds like an upstanding gent;).

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Ha, that sounds a lot like my situation, he sounds like an upstanding gent;).
Woah woah woah, was just talking about me partner here :rolleyes::cool:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
@CALEMT is 42 years old, going through medic school, vapes, dips, drives a smart car, always skips leg day, and is also single

Status
Not open for further replies.