i was told i have to get a haircut?!?!?

SARcastic1

Forum Probie
hey yall gotta ? for the guys out there... does any one of you have longer-ish hair? whats does you dept/agency say about it? pull'n it back tyn'n up??? geta haircut? mines alittle longer kind of a tim lincecum thing i usually just tye it back....

any comments BESIDES GET A HAIRCUT!!!! which i am was just wondering

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I'd respond but I'm not sure I was able to interpret your particular version of English properly, so I'll hold off for now.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Thread title edited.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
No, my hair is average length...I recommend a haircut/dictionary. :ph34r:

Steam Engine

Forum Lieutenant
It's not uncommon around here for agencies / departments to have set grooming standards that employees must adhere to. Honestly, if I had hair long enough that it needed to be "tyed back" I'm not sure I'd want to be doing this job. The odds of having it pulled by someone, caught in something, or dragged through some nastiness just seem to far outweigh the benefit of looking like the man on my off hours.

JPINFV

Gadfly
To try to make this thread useful, should there be different grooming standards for men and women? If one employee is allowed to have long hair provided it's either put into a bun or a pony tail, then shouldn't all employees have that option?

Steam Engine

Forum Lieutenant
To try to make this thread useful, should there be different grooming standards for men and women? If one employee is allowed to have long hair provided it's either put into a bun or a pony tail, then shouldn't all employees have that option?

Ok, I'll bite...no, there should not be separate standards. Men and women are both expected to do the same job, pass the same tests, and wear the same uniforms, so they should be held to the same standards of appearance.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

We have separate standards where I work, but it is not (explicitly) as a saftey reason. The company has an image that it wishes to portray, and apparently that image does not include guys with hair longer than their collar. Right or wrong I have no issue with a private company deciding how they want their employees to look, after all they're paying you, right?

For what its worth, my hair is now out of standard (glad I'm back at school!) and I have no problem in the slightest with guys that have long hair.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Right or wrong I have no issue with a private company deciding how they want their employees to look, after all they're paying you, right?

Well, it depends. Would there be outrage if the company required women to have their hair cut above the collar line? There are feminine short hair cuts after all, just like there are ways for men to present a professional image with long hair.

Youngin

Forum Crew Member
Premium Member
Assuming it's not long because of religious beliefs, like Sikhs or Nazirites, is getting it cut really a big deal? o_O

Sasha

Forum Chief
There is a medic here who grows his hair for locks of love. They just require him to pull it back. Strangely they dont require women to pull it back, but thats double standards for you.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Sasha

Forum Chief
Well, it depends. Would there be outrage if the company required women to have their hair cut above the collar line? There are feminine short hair cuts after all, just like there are ways for men to present a professional image with long hair.

Blech id quit before cutting my hair short.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Hell yeah, I look like a deranged Q-tip with long hair. I will never cut it short again. So it is a big deal. If a company told me I couldn't wear a bun I'd quit.

Lol cutting it doesn't man a buzz cut, could just trim it so its above the collar, and can look pretty professional I'm sure that's the only issue any company would have.

And as far as double standards for men and women, we can argue all we want, they'll always be there... or at least for a long time to come.

Backwoods

Forum Crew Member
hey yall gotta ? for the guys out there... does any one of you have longer-ish hair? whats does you dept/agency say about it? pull'n it back tyn'n up??? geta haircut? mines alittle longer kind of a tim lincecum thing i usually just tye it back....

any comments BESIDES GET A HAIRCUT!!!! which i am was just wondering

My dept. makes us keep it at a reasonable length. If it interferes with a SCBA mask its too long.

Personally I keep it buzzed to make it a bit more comfortable in my fire gear.

OP
OP
S

SARcastic1

Forum Probie
For those who gave a straight answer thx... For the others :.... And I do apologize about the spelling and grammar! I was in a hurry and using a new phone feature with an screwy auto dictation/ spell feature. I didn't realize this would turn in to such a debate. I did get a hair cut to day! 1" above the collar!!! still longer in the in the front but wouldnt affect my scba mask at all! thx again

Joe

Forum Captain
Couple thoughts... 1st:rock a mullet! Its off the ears and off the collar! 2nd: if you have to comb it, its too long. (except the mullet.) I have stuck with the razor fade with a 3 on top. Works for me and gets the ladies. And thats what this thread is really about :)

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
One place I work says anything that isn't messy and doesn't interfere with a mask (N95 or SCBA) is kosher, guy or girl. Everywhere else, it's been short hair for guys, with women keeping theirs above the collar when on duty. Some places prohibit ponytails, along with stethoscopes around the neck and other things that are easy to grab.

For what it's worth, it's possible to have really long hair and keep a good seal with a facepiece. But if you're fighting fire, long hair is such a pain that it probably isn't worth it.

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain

Legally speaking, it's okay to have separate standards for male and female employees. Check out Jesperson vs. Harrah (that case makes me angry).

Practically speaking, I don't know of anywhere non-military that has requirements for the hair length of nurses, respiratory therapists, etc, etc. /beats professionalism horse.

jamesm

Forum Probie
Where I work your not allowed facial hair becuase the SCBA will not fit correctly and long hair is fine as long as it's safe when wearing scba, any sort of mask and when doing vertical rescue