I pulled the trigger

ihalterman

Forum Crew Member
Well, I did it. I am registered to start classes at Des Moines Area Community college Jan 12th. I will take EMT-B this term and EMT-I over the summer term. Then, in the fall, I will transfer to Mercy College and spend a year there working on an associates in Emergency Medical Services (Paramedic cert. included).

Plus after I get my EMT-B, I will start running calls with our local VFD to gain some work experience.

Should graduate summer 2011.

Do any of you see any flaws with this plan? I was worried about the VFD getting enough calls to count as work experience. According to the Medic Captain, there is plenty of work in the department as an EMT. Plus they will get me certified as FF1. Seeing as how our EMS is rolled in with our FD, I figure, that could only help.

As always feel free to tell me how it is/will be. Especially if you are from central Iowa.

Ditchmedic

Forum Probie
I see nothing wrong with your thinking. We are a combined service with fire and ems, we do more ems than fire. If you could negociate ride alongs with a larger company you might be at an advantage. You didn't say how many ems calls your VFD handles; that could be the difference. I have worked with many EMTs that have taken the same route you are headed down, its makes sense, especially the part about getting field experience. I have also worked with people who went to college and went from no back ground, to basic, to intermediate, to paramedic with no idea about real life in the field. Their clinical skills are good but their people skills are lousy. Sounds like you have your head together. Study hard and good luck.