I passed! Now what?

AudiGirl

Forum Probie
I ended my course early Dec. Took the NREMT yesterday evening, found out this morning that I passed!
It wasn't easy, and after it stopped me at 70 questions I was sure I had just failed.

So on to my question...although I successfully completed the course, skills, and nremt exam.. there's no way I feel ready just to be thrown out in the field.

Im curious when you felt "ready" to work? Did you just go for it, and the confidence came quickly after working a few shifts?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Just go get a job. Most places have at least some sort of FTO/training program. They wont just throw you out there to sink or swim.

Also, most new EMTs do interfacility transport for a while, and those are usually not super emergent. You'll learn as you go

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
In adding on to what DEmedic said I would look into if your state requires a EMT card or if your county requires a card as well. A quick google search will give you the info that you need. It's nothing hard, it's typically a livescan you fill out the app and send it in.

OP
OP
AudiGirl

AudiGirl

Forum Probie
In adding on to what DEmedic said I would look into if your state requires a EMT card or if your county requires a card as well. A quick google search will give you the info that you need. It's nothing hard, it's typically a livescan you fill out the app and send it in.

Thanks.
I'm in California, so to apply for Los Angeles county I do need a live scan, am in the process of getting that done.
I appreciate your replies!

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
"Ready" is a BS concept. You're never going to wake up one day and be "ready" out of nowhere. You're never going to be more ready than you are today, so just go do it. This is a hands on business. Sure, you learn the basic theories in the classroom, but you really learn how to do the job elbow deep in it, so go do it

If you've passed the certification exams, you're at the very least qualified to precept on an ambulance. Hopefully, you go to work for a company with some semblance of a decent field training program where you can be properly evaluated and mentored until you're qualified to go out without 1:1 supervision.

Either way, just go do it.