I need to know...

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
- what, as an EMT, I need to do, to get the paramedic set up and ready to intubate

What do you guys, that are medics, want for your EMT to do to get you ready to intubate?

Its a question I will be asked. How the hell am I supposed to know what the medic I am working with wants me to do, short of him telling me. But thats not the right answer.

I just wonder if there is going to be a right answer.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
EMTPrincess said:
- what, as an EMT, I need to do, to get the paramedic set up and ready to intubate

What do you guys, that are medics, want for your EMT to do to get you ready to intubate?

Its a question I will be asked. How the hell am I supposed to know what the medic I am working with wants me to do, short of him telling me. But thats not the right answer.

I just wonder if there is going to be a right answer.

I think that is a great question. It will vary from medic to medic but I can tell you what he/she "needs".

Most important is good ventilation while the medic preps the equipment. A BVM attached to supplemental O2 with some sort of airway adjunct (OPA/NPA). Get a good mask seal and go.

Have suction, steth and some sort of tube securing device (tape, O2 tubing or patented device) nearby.

Be prepared for your partner to ask for several things at one time. There is truth to the saying that medics save lives but EMT's save medics. I look good because of my partners.

No two situations are the same because of differences in location, patients etc..........but taking care of your partner is always a calming choice.

squid

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah, I'm thinking unless there are a million of you on scene that good ventilation would be what you're working on so the intubator (lol -- I like that, it should be in caps) can prep her stuff without worrying about how the patient's doing for a minute.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
Medics love a spare set of hands princess, you could preoxygenate, provide seleck's maneuver if asked, as well as a variety of what is normally 3 handed tasks for them....

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I fpossible I prefer to have the fire gang do the BVM. Hopefully, there is a airway already in place. My partner can get my suction ready and a set of ears (stethescope) ready, & be sure I have a 10cc syringe as well. Most EMT's know how to perform the Sellick manuever and learn how to feel as it passes through the cords. Once I am in, I let my partner verify breath souncs while I watch the ETC02 & verify as well. Then I will listen, & re-verify.

Working as a team is the key and being able to predcit the next step comes with time. It take a couple of accidental "head bangings" before it runs smoothly.

Good luck,
R/R 911