I need help Choosing my EMT-B School in Orlando, Florida or an accelerated class wherever.

ship

Forum Ride Along
Hello,
this is my first post, I found this website while googling study guides for the EMT-B exam

I am still deciding on which EMT-B school to attend and could use some sage advice.

My choices that I have found so far are:

(I included links, but I have fewer than 5 posts so it would not allow me to post links)

Valencia Community College
This program is three days a week, Three months long and 1300 dollars, , school is accredited and conveniently located but not available until mid January.

Mid Florida Tech
There is a longer waiting list and I haven't even seen an advisor yet.

First Responder Training Group
Toured the school, they're less than two years old and not accredited, it costs 2000 and two days a week for two months. This is my favorite choice so far honestly. A lot of other vets here, both in the school and as students.

I've also read about the accelerated programs. These seem great because it knocks it all out quickly, I loved intersession classes in college, I'm assuming these are pretty similar to living your subject for two weeks straight 24/7
I've read mixed feedback on results from these quick programs as well, and they're usually around 3000 plus expenses?

I need some real world advice,
Do I need an accredited School?
If I plan to do the Paramedic AS degree do I need to take the EMT class? or can I just go straight into a paramedic class?
Are those prices and timelines pretty average?
Should I try for a community college over a technical school? does that matter?

Thanks for reading all of this, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
I've lived and worked EMS in the Orlando area for 5 years. Valencia is by far the best choice.
The other schools may be more convenient or flexible, but they cost more and aren't accredited. They also won't properly prepare you, since they make the class easy and push everyone through so as to not lose out on any tuition money.
And yes, everyone needs to become an EMT before they can try medic school. And you'll stand a much better chance of getting through medic school if you work as an EMT for at least a year.

OP
OP
S

ship

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the reply!

I did like what I saw at Valencia, but I'm not sure I can wait two months to even begin this journey.

Is accreditation a make it or break it deal if I'm just going for EMT-B? I understand with Paramedic programs, but I have a medical background and just want to get my foot back in the door after a hiatus. (I rotated through the ER, but I've never worked in the dept full time)

I'm still leaning towards
First Response Training Group in Orlando

any experience with them? I saw one bad review (still can't post links) but I also saw several positive reviews?

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
I like the guy who started First Response, but I recall a student from there telling me that he has already moved on elsewhere and that the quality has slipped.
Accreditation isn't too important if you don't need the 8 college credits for EMT.
I've never spoken to anyone who was actually happy that they did EMT/medic through a private academy or whatever. They almost always feel conned halfway into the program, as they can never deliver the promises they made to get your money.

OP
OP
S

ship

Forum Ride Along
You're right of course, and I agree with you, in that I dislike education for profit. I guess I'm rationalizing it to myself because I don't want to wait four months to even apply for a job.

Worst case scenario I'd still have the opportunity to take the certification exams through any of these schools though?

I've found four reviews about first response training group that were negative and they were all about the money, not the classes? I've found quite a few positive reviews that were based on the classes

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
You're right of course, and I agree with you, in that I dislike education for profit. I guess I'm rationalizing it to myself because I don't want to wait four months to even apply for a job.

Worst case scenario I'd still have the opportunity to take the certification exams through any of these schools though?

I've found four reviews about first response training group that were negative and they were all about the money, not the classes? I've found quite a few positive reviews that were based on the classes

Valencia also has better connections for clinicals. Most of the privates will have you riding on private IFT ambulances doing dialysis transfers, whereas Valencia will have you ride with the fire departments. I realize that I'm starting to sound like I'm paid by Valencia, so I'm going to stop now. lol It's just that I've precepted so many riders from these inferior schools and usually feel bad for them, since they got suckered into going there without knowing all the facts.

PS: Seminole State College is in Altamonte Springs and more or less on par with Valencia.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I second Underoath. I live in Orlando, I am very familiar with the schools, the colleges, the ride programs and the quality of students from those programs.

A few years back before going into business, I taught at both a private school and a college in Central FL. At the private it was all about getting them in and out and I was actually fired from the job when I refused to make tests easier or pass candidates who clearly did not demonstrate the education or skills. At the college, I was encouraged to maintain high standards and if someone was weak, then they were booted...was that simple.

Anyways...what is your rush? I am going to use you as an example, so I apologize in advance but it is the mentality you are displaying which first encourages these medic mills and second adds to the overall decline in quality of providers in our field.

Take it slow, do it the right way. Get a solid education, something you can be proud of and then build upon. When you are taught the bare minimum just so you can enter the workforce and get your game on, this collectively contributes to the overall ****ty standards we have within EMS. EMS will always be there, jobs will always be there...do it the right way the first time.

Valencia and Seminole CC are both excellent choices. If you have to wait, then wait.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
To add onto this...

Quality of instructors at a college versus a private school.

Colleges require faculty to have degrees. They will normally be well rounded educators with experience in the field and with teaching. This is important. In class practicals may have some who do not meet this, however their interaction is limited to the practical portion only.

The private medic mills (not all but enough) while having highly credentialed people at the top often end up with something like this..."Who is off and can teach next Friday? 15/hour!!"

Experience in the field does not = educator.

OP
OP
S

ship

Forum Ride Along
Well, I asked for advice so now I will take it.
I signed up for the next Health Sciences orientation for Valencia and will look into Seminole State as well.

Thank you both for your input, I will wait and do this the right way.

Any other advice or questions I'm not asking that I should be? Anything I can do to prepare for classes?

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Good call. As far as advice: once you finish EMT, get hired at the first place that will take you and work there for a year while you take A&P. Then apply to medic school. You'll have a FAR easier and more enriching experience in medic school that way.
If you do VCC for medic, apply in the Fall to West campus. The Spring class at the Osceola campus is where those who fail out of West campus go, with less experienced instructors and lower standards.

Edit: while the college medic programs will have you take a brief A&P crash course before starting, it isn't nearly as thorough or well-taught as actual A&P.

Last edited: