i need answers

emily1024

Forum Probie
im currently 17 and really wanting to be an EMT, this is usually the time when high school is almost over and you now have to start thinking about your next move. i have though about going into the EMT field for quite sometime but there are so many things that i have no idea about, first off i feel like this is the right path for me and am really excited to start something i am so passionate about, i know that this field is not for everyone and i get that, but i feel like if you have such a passion to do something you tend to make it work, ive had the passion for along time so i know that its not some faze. i really want to do this feild and i feel like it is the right decision to do, but like most things i have a few questions and slight concerns.

questions

1. is it likely to get an EMT job that isent volunteer

2. does looks have an effect on getting hired for an EMT job

3. do you have to learn to drive an ambulance to get hired

4. how hard is it to find a job as an EMT

5. what is the training like for an EMT

6. can you be 19 and get hired for an EMT position and still get paid

my concerns
first off im a girl and i dont look my age i look supper young and was really wondering if that would have an effect on getting a job as an EMT, im looking to go into EMT as soon as i get out of high school and i graduate 2017. i have herd that there are some set backs on trying to get an ambulance license that you have to be 21. and thats why i really need to know if you have to learn to drive ambulance to get hired. im not interested in anything other then this field havent given it much thought because im supper passionate with wanting to do this,but i do have my concerns on this. by the way im incredibly small to im about 5'2 but i can lift allot so im not worried about that, but am hoping to find a job looking the way i am with looking so young and small.
im looking to be able to get paid and one day move out and get my own place thats why i need to know the likely on getting a job and getting paid. im hoping this works out because im really excited to start a new chapter doing what i want.

thank you so much for listening to my ramble
have a blessed day :)

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT

1. depends on your area, interview skills, networking ability, and level of training.
2. not that i'm aware of, technically employers should have a "we don't judge" act (equal opportunity employer).
3. Varies by state, generally to drive you need to be 21 for insurance reasons.
4. Depends on location, networking ect. I am a big believer in it's WHO you know not WHAT you know. Now i am not saying be incompetent, but in my opinion networking will make up for average, instead of great "marks" in school
5. EMT-B in NYS is about 200 hours. you can take an accelerated EMT class and be done in 6 weeks. AEMT and paramedic is different and are longer training times.
6. Depends on area, company you go for, and again networking. You may be able to work for an IFT company and they'll throw you in the back because you won't be able to drive (point back to insurance).

If you want to go into healthcare as a field i encourage you to explore all of your options, possible college education, nursing(bridge to Paramedic maybe?) but this is all in the future. The bottom line is becoming an EMT-B is a rather straight forward process, and a helpful tip when you get into an EMT-B class, ITS COMMON SENSE. Do not overthink it, blood goes round and round' air goes in and out, any variation means somethings wrong. If they are bleeding stop the bleeding, if they cant breathe, help them breathe. As an EMT-B you dont need mathematic formula's, narcotics or any of that jazz. Also stay on here, you can learn a TON, i know i did, and still do every day.

~Andrew

OP
OP
emily1024

emily1024

Forum Probie
i plain to go further into the medic field like EMT-B or paramedic but we all have to start somewhere and that first step is EMT then EMT-B, i was wondering during your class with EMT training are you doing ride alongs while in school? but like i said i do have alot of concerns and want to be able to get paid doing EMT and the crap factor is that they might stick me in the back doing nothing makes me feel alittle on edge

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
i plain to go further into the medic field like EMT-B or paramedic but we all have to start somewhere and that first step is EMT then EMT-B, i was wondering during your class with EMT training are you doing ride alongs while in school? but like i said i do have alot of concerns and want to be able to get paid doing EMT and the crap factor is that they might stick me in the back doing nothing makes me feel alittle on edge
just a basic layout of the "ranks" EMR(emergency first responder, or whatever the NREMT calls it) -> EMT-B --> AEMT(EMT-I) --> paramedic --> CC- P(critical care medic) --> CCRN( critical care RN). my ride alongs were as run of the mill as you can get. Basic basic calls, learn from the proctor and thats that. My first day as an EMT-B they put me on a Critical care Transport rig, and i learned more in 1 day then i did all EMT class. Just stay open minded, ask questions, be respectful, and NETWORK! I became an EMT because work approached me and offered me a bonus, i thought i'd never use it, and i ENJOYED doing it, so here i am. I am even starting the road to getting my BSN.

OP
OP
emily1024

emily1024

Forum Probie
thank you so much for the insight on what im getting into, this is a huge passion for me and google dosent have all the answers i need thank you so much for giveing me insight on what im walking into :)

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
no problem, again i'd advise schmoozing around here, you'll find a ton of helpful things.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
Every part of the country is a little different. Where do you live?

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief

my concerns
first off im a girl and i dont look my age i look supper young and was really wondering if that would have an effect on getting a job as an EMT, im looking to go into EMT as soon as i get out of high school and i graduate 2017. i have herd that there are some set backs on trying to get an ambulance license that you have to be 21. and thats why i really need to know if you have to learn to drive ambulance to get hired. im not interested in anything other then this field havent given it much thought because im supper passionate with wanting to do this,but i do have my concerns on this. by the way im incredibly small to im about 5'2 but i can lift allot so im not worried about that, but am hoping to find a job looking the way i am with looking so young and small.
im looking to be able to get paid and one day move out and get my own place thats why i need to know the likely on getting a job and getting paid. im hoping this works out because im really excited to start a new chapter doing what i want.

1. Depends where you are I'd say. Where I grew up, my options for a paid position are not nearly as numerous as where I currently live. Combine that with the fact that a lot of EMS is fire based in the surrounding areas around home and that kinda narrows down my choices more. So, it depends. Google should be able to answer that for you though.

2. The only time I might be worried about looks is if my partner is 300lbs and out of breath walking a short distance, otherwise I don't give a damn. Know the basics and I am happy.

3. That is part of the job, especially if you work with a medic partner.

4. See #1. It also depends on what types of places you have nearby. IFT (hospital transfers) are easy to get. 911 varies. Also depends on if you have to get fire certs or not.

5. Not enough in my opinion. Not that there aren't EMT's who are good at what they do, but going through medic school taught me a lot more about how to do things and I still feel stupid when I get to listen to some folks. Basically if you have a pulse, are literate, and can follow simple instructions, you should be able to pass your EMT class.

6. Should be able to. I got hired with people who were 20 and they drove, but it probably depends on factors that I do not know.

If getting hired an a 911 place is an issue due to your age and driving, go look at a hospital as a tech. While it might be a bit different way of doing things and not what you have in mind, you will learn a lot there. Not only that, you will probably get paid better.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
im currently 17 and really wanting to be an EMT, this is usually the time when high school is almost over and you now have to start thinking about your next move. i have though about going into the EMT field for quite sometime but there are so many things that i have no idea about, first off i feel like this is the right path for me and am really excited to start something i am so passionate about, i know that this field is not for everyone and i get that, but i feel like if you have such a passion to do something you tend to make it work, ive had the passion for along time so i know that its not some faze. i really want to do this feild and i feel like it is the right decision to do, but like most things i have a few questions and slight concerns.

questions

It depends where you live and ifyou have any career services near you. Lots of volly services running 911 in TX, with a lot of paid IFT services in those same places. There are also bigger county and city based career EMS agencies around the state. I work for a decent one in the southeast portion of the state.
Not if you don't smell and look like a slob.
You need to be able to drive before you can get hired. They'll put you through a CEVO or EVOC course and then give you driving training when you're new.
Depends on where you live and what kind of services are around you.
120+ hours in a classroom doing lecture and skills. Clinical time in the ED and on an ambulance. Not too hard.
Maybe. Depends what services are in your area. A lot won't hire under 21 years old due to insurance reasons.
my concerns

My answers are in red. If you need any questions answered in more detail feel free to PM me. A lot of the answers will be entirely dependent on which portion of this huge state you live in.

phideux

Forum Captain
On our local Volunteer squad, we have a Cadet program, anything like that in your area??? It's a good place to get your foot in the door.