I just passed

MexDefender

Forum Lieutenant
I just passed my EMT-B course and waiting to take the national registry next week.

Beyond the test what should I prepare for when it comes to finding a job in my state? I can be flexible with where I live so that isn't a problem either.

My instructor is a firefighter and was telling me they do a written test, physical test, and than an oral test with weird questions... He said ambulance agencies do something similar like If you could be any soup what soup would you be?

If anyone works for an ambulance agency could you shed some light on this process?

Ambulanceman

Forum Probie
Make sure you apply everywhere you don’t want to apply at 1 place and wait for them to call you. Also most ambulance companies will give you a written test, possible a skills test, interview, physical, and lift test. Good luck!

OP
OP
MexDefender

MexDefender

Forum Lieutenant
what exactly do they test for in the physical and lift test?

Ambulanceman

Forum Probie
It’s a DOT physical exam, they check your eye sight, your vitals, ask about any past injuries, or illness, and check for hernias; it’s a normal physical exam if you ever had one. As far as a lift test usually they check to see if you can lift a certain amount, I would say to be sure you can at least dead lift about 150lbs. and you should be fine, they might use actual weights, or use a machine that measures your strength.