i have one dwi. am i wasting my time?

emt b MO

Forum Probie
I have one DWI from about a year ago. I am on an SIS(suspended imposition of sentence). Do I have any chance?

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Magic 8 ball says "try again later"

medic417

The Truth Provider
Your wasting your time. You are also wasting our time as a search would show tons of discussions about this.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
No, no you do not.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Yep, you're wasting your time.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Apparently my company will not hire people with a DWI.

BUT if you get one while working you wont technically be fired, but you loose your driving status for five years.

But I would rather be fired. Your fellow employees would have so much hate toward you.

We are there to help people, and you risked peoples lives. I have no trust in those who drink and drive.

Most Insurance companies that I know of require a 5 year gap, in order for you to be deemed worth insuring.

medic417

The Truth Provider

Anjel

Forum Angel

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Do I need to make an appearance in this thread?

Anjel

Forum Angel

EFDUnit823

Forum Crew Member
I don’t think you are necessarily “wasting” your time, however, I think you have added needless hurdles. The first thing that comes to mind is will an ambulance company’s insurance insure you? As far as joining an ambulance service, this will be the deal breaker for you. However, there are other jobs requiring an EMT certification, so in that sense, it would not be a waste of time.

Any obstacle can be overcome if you work to overcome it. But, you will never overcome them if you listen to sanctimonious individuals advising you based on their prejudices instead of facts. The facts lay in the circumstances and a potential employer’s willingness to offer forgiveness, giving you a shot.

Good luck!

Justice

Forum Crew Member
Every state has different laws on traffic violations. I work with more then one person who has a DUI on their record at some point.

#1 how long ago was it
#2 how long does it affect your driving record in your state.

While something like this is one of those have you ever in your life type questions, it doesnt mean you can never work in the field. Just do some research and if ask a local volly service. They are much more likely to answer your question then a paid company.

Also if it wasnt mandated, take some alcohol classes and save the certs. Wouldnt be a year or 2 down the road but in 5-7 years showing a service hey I made a mistake but I was young and dumb, might help

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
OP
OP
E

emt b MO

Forum Probie
That was my original plan,however an SIS is technically a supervised probation so no branch would accept me.