I have genital herpes. Will this affect my chances of getting hired as an emt?

Yadayada

Forum Ride Along
So I've been thinking about going to emt school for a couple of years now. I recently found out I have genital herpes, even though I've never had an outbreak...so who knows how long I've had it for. Anyway...I am ready to start my journey to become an emt. I was wondering if having genital herpes would disqualify me. It's not like I'm going to be having any sexual contact with my patients and it won't affect the way I work. I just want to make sure that this won't disqualify me.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
04f9b1e4e983b9cf6d117fef4664fdb2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Uhhh as long as you aren't planning on rubbing your genitals on patients then you are good. Might want to look into getting on some meds.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
One, herpes isn't a disqualifying condition for anything that I'm aware of.

Two, they aren't going to ask you about STD's.

Three, if they did(and I truly can't imagine that happening), you don't have to answer them.

Four, if they did ask, and you did answer, and you lied, there is never a single set of circumstances where they could even think of checking to see if you lied.

While I commend you for thinking about it, come back down to earth. You'll be fine. Just keep your genitals to yourself(good advice for so many member of our society) and carry on.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Uhhh as long as you aren't planning on rubbing your genitals on patients then you are good. Might want to look into getting on some meds.

Speaking of which, is that why most of your patients come down with chlamydia?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Certainly sets the tone for all follow on discussions from the OP.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I think as long as you agree to not rub your genitals on your patients (or any of your coworkers), it should be a non issue.....

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I was wondering if having genital herpes would disqualify me. It's not like I'm going to be having any sexual contact with my patients and it won't affect the way I work. I just want to make sure that this won't disqualify me.
No, it won't. I wouldn't go around telling everyone where you work either.

Before we get ourselves locked out of another thread, OP, if you're being serious this is probably something no one (including us) except your immediate significant other needs to know. I'm not knocking you for sharing it, but somethings really are better left in the "TMI" category.

Also worth mentioning, and sort of a bit of a learning lesson for you is the good-natured humor and replies you've received on here. If you're by any means offended by it, you probably won't last, or like the humor that many providers either have, or develop over years of field work to cope. Know this though---at least they're saying it to your face.

Back to original question: Again, this should not hinder any career choices not involving your "nether regions" throughout your lifetime.

xxdanielt3

Forum Ride Along
Keep it in your pants and you will be okay. I mean that is the moral of life isn't it?

On a serious note, I wouldn't walk around telling everyone that you have genital herpes. Some people will be quick to pass judgment. There are some things you just shouldn't mention, this most likely being one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrParasite

2159b5ac948ea1682084989f7fd0c1e6c8db59bba29d0d54084462c3739940b4.jpg

OP
OP
Y

Yadayada

Forum Ride Along
Thanks y'all. Some of these responses are hilarious! I can handle it. I have thick skin ;p and yes I plan on keeping my secret to myself...except for the fact that I just told y'all. However I do plan on telling any future partners I may have.

DrParasite

However I do plan on telling any future partners I may have.
especially if you plan on rubbing your genitals on them......

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I highly doubt I am alone on this forum when I say this:

I WOULD NOT want, or need to know this about ANY PARTNER EVER!

DrParasite

There is a such thing as TMI, even between partners..... This would be one of those circumstances.... best to keep it to yourself, unless they had a reason they would need to know...... like you would be running your genitals on them.... then you might want to give them the courtesy heads up.... but other than that....... definitely would be TMI

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Lol. My first thought was work partners. I hope she means sexual partners........though sometimes they are one in the same.

Thats how I ended up married.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
"So John, I know we have been working together for a long time but I have a confession to make. I..... I have genital herpes. I hope we can still work together". That's going to be an interesting conversation