I don't want to walk through your smoke! =(

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
Why do so many nursing homes put the ambulance entrance in the back next to the smoking area for staff? I don't want to walk through that cloud and I don't want to pull my patients through it either! Uggg. Whyyyy can't we just use the front door for our non-emergency IFTs?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Appearances. It looks bad to have the ambulance out font 5 times a day.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Appearances. It looks bad to have the ambulance out font 5 times a day.

This.

The same reason they won't call us, and let us know there is an actual emergency. They'll call and say DIB, but stable. When in reality, the patient is in cardiac arrest (severe DIB :p). They don't want anyone to see an ambulance with it's lights and sirens on pulling into their nursing home.

freebyrd

Forum Crew Member
Why do so many nursing homes put the ambulance entrance in the back next to the smoking area for staff? I don't want to walk through that cloud and I don't want to pull my patients through it either! Uggg. Whyyyy can't we just use the front door for our non-emergency IFTs?
heh you can always move to new york, they have made smoking in public illegal

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
heh you can always move to new york, they have made smoking in public illegal

That's comin soon to a California near you too. Already been done in a couple 'burbs around San Diego and heading towards a town near you.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

A better question: Why can't they move the smoking area SOMEWHERE ELSE?

It's a pity to see so many healthcare workers inhaling fresh carcinogens. Not only do we have to inhale it from some partners, but also at ED ambulance entrances, SNFs, our garages, etc.

freebyrd

Forum Crew Member
That's comin soon to a California near you too. Already been done in a couple 'burbs around San Diego and heading towards a town near you.

great! the only vice i have is coffee and cigarettes, and they are hard to give up,
i see a lot of people working in ems that smoke to deal with stress,
hard habit to break

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
great! the only vice i have is coffee and cigarettes, and they are hard to give up,
i see a lot of people working in ems that smoke to deal with stress,
hard habit to break

I quit in Dec... got tired of hiding behind dumpsters like some crackhead to get a smoke. It's not worth it around here. Too many bunny huggin eco nazi's in this area.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I quit smoking crack because I was tired of hiding behind some dumpster like a smoker to get my fix. :huh:

nemedic

Forum Captain

This will only work for your station. I like to cook when given the chance. I also smoke, but almost never at work. People can be a holes when they think people are being self righteous. If people are too bad about it, I have been known to cook with much more "pungent" ingredients. And before people chime in about the innocent parties, the non smokers (the ops manager included) support the plan, and some consider it hilarious

Last edited by a moderator:

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I firmly feel that smoking in public is dangerous and hazardous and should be made illegal. We require that cars have catalytic converts and emissions are tightly controlled. Smoking is no different.

freebyrd

Forum Crew Member
I firmly feel that smoking in public is dangerous and hazardous and should be made illegal. We require that cars have catalytic converts and emissions are tightly controlled. Smoking is no different.

wow really! :rolleyes:

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
This will only work for your station. I like to cook when given the chance. I also smoke, but almost never at work. People can be a holes when they think people are being self righteous. If people are too bad about it, I have been known to cook with much more "pungent" ingredients. And before people chime in about the innocent parties, the non smokers (the ops manager included) support the plan, and some consider it hilarious

Personally, I could care less what you put into your body, as long as it doesn't effect me, but the minute you climb into the truck reeking of menthol, or I'm forced to inhale your second-hand-smoke, I take action.

Although, from a public health perspective (policy, economics, epidemiology), you are costing me (through the healthcare system) mucho dollars, and I don't want to pay for it, but it is a bit darwinian, I presume...

Last edited by a moderator:

Smoke14

Forum Crew Member
When I was 15 I watched my grandfather die of COPD. He spent the last few months of his life gasping for air and that left a hell of an impression on me. I have never smoked.

When I reported for my first shift on the truck my partner gave me the nickel tour of the hospital. When we walked into the emergency room there was two nurses smoking at the desk. There was even a cigarette machine in the front lobby.

That was a few years ago.

I don't care if others smoke but I do not like working with a partner who smells like an ash tray.

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
I must admit that since I quit, I do pick up on the "stale odor" more than I used to.

I don't care if anyone else smokes, don't care what the ratio is of death to life vs yadda yadda...

It costs me more to house, feed, give hospital care to and pay for property damages on the illegal alien problem here than all the bikers in the US lighting up at once.

The more I hear the bunny huggers spewing facts about tabacco deaths costing taxpayers, the more I wanna put their heads through the tree that they're huggin under the other arm, we got bigger problems.

And smoke14... back in the day, we'd come out of a fire, pull off the BA, sit on the curb and light a smoke. Tell me the irony in that hahahahaha.

IAems

Forum Crew Member
Trying to Quit

It's been two weeks without a cigarette, and I still really miss one after I clear from a Code-3 transport with an unstable patient. One day at a time, right? Ultimate irony though, when I used to run vent calls to facilities and later on see the patient's RT outside smoking on break. Oh well, and for all you guys complaining, remember: Smoking is job security!