I don't want to walk through your smoke! =(

Nerd13

Forum Lieutenant
And smoke14... back in the day, we'd come out of a fire, pull off the BA, sit on the curb and light a smoke. Tell me the irony in that hahahahaha.

Back in the day? that's still standard practice around here. Of course people would have to put on the breathing apparatus here to pull it off...

I hate the smell of cigarette smoke and especially the smell of it embedded in clothing/skin/hair. I'm fortunate that my regular partner doesn't smoke but it's about 50/50 at the company that I work for. I get how hard it is to break the habit but I don't really buy the excuse that so many people in EMS (or healthcare in general) smoke because its such a stress reliever. There are so many of us that experience the same stress level and don't smoke or have quit smoking. The bottom line is that if people are going to smoke I at least expect them to be respectful of the fact that I don't and try not to create their clouds near me. Most of my coworkers are very respectful regarding this.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Although, from a public health perspective (policy, economics, epidemiology), you are costing me (through the healthcare system) mucho dollars, and I don't want to pay for it, but it is a bit darwinian, I presume...

...actually, my understanding is that tobacco use saves the health care system money. While it costs more now, since there's less chronic care (early death), the total cost is lower.

freebyrd

Forum Crew Member
I must admit that since I quit, I do pick up on the "stale odor" more than I used to.

I don't care if anyone else smokes, don't care what the ratio is of death to life vs yadda yadda...

It costs me more to house, feed, give hospital care to and pay for property damages on the illegal alien problem here than all the bikers in the US lighting up at once.

The more I hear the bunny huggers spewing facts about tabacco deaths costing taxpayers, the more I wanna put their heads through the tree that they're huggin under the other arm, we got bigger problems.

And smoke14... back in the day, we'd come out of a fire, pull off the BA, sit on the curb and light a smoke. Tell me the irony in that hahahahaha.

i wasn't sure how politically incorrect i should take it on this board until i got the vibe,
but i gotta say i cosign everything you said dude,

OP
OP
A

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
...actually, my understanding is that tobacco use saves the health care system money. While it costs more now, since there's less chronic care (early death), the total cost is lower.

I read that study too, but I can't find the link to it.

I don't care about the financial aspect, I just don't want to be forced to smell it, and it's ridiculous for healthcare facilities to create policies that make patients walk through a cloud of smoke.