I-am-responding.com

NJN

The Young One
The Brass are looking at getting some sort of system to track who is responding to calls, their ETA, etc. Then making that information available to the other personnel responding and dispatch so that more personnel can be dispatched if needed. They are also looking at using this to cut down on radio traffic.

They got turned on to http://www.iamresponding.com

So I have these three questions:

Does your service use this or a similar service, if so what service? (if no, there is no reason to continue reading)
How does your agency like it? (Either I am responding or whatever service you may use)
How easy is it to use?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
At the private I worked for, we used GPS based system. We knew what the cloest unit was, and if it was a BLS unit or a flycar, which was the closest ALS unit. Our dispatching screens howed all units and where they were on a map. Dispatcher would enter the incident address, and the cloest units would be highlighted. Also, units that were enroute to another location that were doing routine transport but were technically "tied up" would be displayed so that the dispatcher could cancel them and reassign them if he so desired.

Summit

Critical Crazy
NJN that looks great! I just forwarded it my two agencies.

CountryMed

Forum Ride Along
Hi there,

Our district does not use this, but a neighboring district does and from what I've heard they like it.

I was going to code one (uhh...that's code as in software development, not code as in circling the drain) for our district as it's really quite simple software to develop. However the cost is pretty low for I Am Responding so we may end up just going with that instead.

Wes

The Brass are looking at getting some sort of system to track who is responding to calls, their ETA, etc. Then making that information available to the other personnel responding and dispatch so that more personnel can be dispatched if needed. They are also looking at using this to cut down on radio traffic.

They got turned on to http://www.iamresponding.com

So I have these three questions:

Does your service use this or a similar service, if so what service? (if no, there is no reason to continue reading)
How does your agency like it? (Either I am responding or whatever service you may use)
How easy is it to use?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

MrRevesz

Forum Crew Member
I think it's a good idea for an agency that has a high call volume, or a bigger department. For the smaller ones, I think there's more beneficial things to waste money on. The way I see it, who in the squad will actually use it besides a select few? Unless you're pulling duty, the people who respond to the scramble calls announce over the radio which works perfectly. The only part I could see being beneficial to us is the scheduling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Summit

Critical Crazy
I think it's a good idea for an agency that has a high call volume, or a bigger department. For the smaller ones, I think there's more beneficial things to waste money on. The way I see it, who in the squad will actually use it besides a select few? Unless you're pulling duty, the people who respond to the scramble calls announce over the radio which works perfectly. The only part I could see being beneficial to us is the scheduling.

It's a great idea for a volunteer group where people have pagers but not radios. Command can know if they have enough response. Volunteers can know if they really need to leave work or the theater.

OP
OP
NJN

NJN

The Young One
It's a great idea for a volunteer group where people have pagers but not radios. Command can know if they have enough response. Volunteers can know if they really need to leave work or the theater.

I second this, as only our officers have radios, plus its also useful to see if someone on duty is responding or are they still sleeping from a "1 hour nap" that took a little bit longer *cough* Revesz *cough*. Plus since its in our SOPs that we are not supposed to use the radio (if we were to take a duty radio from the building) to call in that you are in face responding to a call or to the scene (in a POV).

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
A few questions:

I don't understand why radio traffic is a bad thing. With the volley service I work for, we are allowed to use the radio for whatever we deem necessary.

Now my volly dept is a bit different from what you guys are describing as we don't EVER respond to a scene in a POV and we staff shifts so there aren't guys being called in except in extreme circumstances where brass gets called in to assist.

Obviously my paid service doesn't have these issues, but even there we can use the radios for whatever we need including if we are responding.

OP
OP
NJN

NJN

The Young One
We use PD as our dispatch/primary channel, so there is some concern about "clogging" the air, not the this particular PD has many transmissions, We do have a Tac freq. but no one really uses it and its not monitored all the time.