I am not renewing my subscription to JEMS

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I know there are a lot of haters among us regarding JEMS, but before you crucify me for even having a subscription, allow me to explain myself.

Some of you may remember EMS magazine from back in the day. EMS magazine has since chained there name to EMS world. EMS world and JEMS are the only 2 mass produced magazines in the USA specific to pre-hospital EMS that I am aware of.

What they are not, despite the name of JEMS many do not consider it a professional peer reviewed medical journal and claim the name itself "Journal Of Emergency Medical Services" is misleading. It is instead, considered by many to be a "trade magazine" the same as EMS world.

Neither of these publications should replace true peer reviewed professional journals. However, for what they are, I do enjoy reading them for many reasons. 1 because I am short on time, the articles are short, sweet and interesting. If I find something interesting within the contents of the magazine I can use my time later to research the topic more. I do not use the articles solely as the basis of getting information, but more "tip of the iceberg" style for further research. 2. Because I enjoy seeing what new products are out there, and 3. the jobs in the back.

With all that said..... EMS world and JEMS are very similar, the huge difference? EMS world is now offered free (the digital version) so you can read it on your tablet, pc, or whatever else. JEMS charges 20 bucks for the digital version and offers absolutely no additional benefits. I have been more than happy with my free EMS world, and as a result I am no longer paying JEMS unless they become a true peer-reviewed professional journal. I can get the same exact product from EMS world for free.

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
PS: Sorry for all the typos and errors. As soon as I get a job I will buy a premium membership which includes extended editing times. :rolleyes:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Almsot an ad for EMS WOrld.

(See, we red letter guys make typos took)

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
What they are not, despite the name of JEMS many do not consider it a professional peer reviewed medical journal and claim the name itself "Journal Of Emergency Medical Services" is misleading. It is instead, considered by many to be a "trade magazine" the same as EMS world.

Neither of these publications should replace true peer reviewed professional journals. However, for what they are, I do enjoy reading them for many reasons. 1 because I am short on time, the articles are short, sweet and interesting. If I find something interesting within the contents of the magazine I can use my time later to research the topic more. I do not use the articles solely as the basis of getting information, but more "tip of the iceberg" style for further research. 2. Because I enjoy seeing what new products are out there, and 3. the jobs in the back.

I haven't read JEMS or EMS World regularly in years. I think one year early in my career I subscribed to both of them.

That said, there is nothing wrong with being a trade magazine. There's a fair amount of interesting and useful stuff in magazines that you might not see anywhere else, and I would not the least bit embarrassed to admit that I subscribe to either one.

Either of these magazines could dramatically improve their usefulness and their credibility as a "journal", IMO, by simply expanding and improving their research review sections. If, each month, they would select a half dozen or so relevant papers from peer-reviewed journals and have clinicians experienced in research break it down in detail.

JEMS could potentially replace peer-reviewed journals for paramedics, if their research review section were comprehensive enough that you could trust any EMS-relevant research would be reported and thoroughly discussed there. Most paramedics don't have the time, money, or understanding of research to sift through the peer-reviewed literature on their own every month.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
I read EMS World on my iPad. It's free, and being very new to EMS I find it interesting to read non-textbook material about the industry.

Will I still read it 5 years from now? I dunno, but for someone new with a LOT to learn I like it, and ya can't beat the price.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Can't speak for JEMS, but I'm affiliated with EMS World. In my experience, the editors have been open to criticism about content and approach. Feel free to add suggestions here or contact me privately.

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Can't speak for JEMS, but I'm affiliated with EMS World. In my experience, the editors have been open to criticism about content and approach. Feel free to add suggestions here or contact me privately.

I am pretty happy with EMS world honestly. I really enjoy the digital version, and I frequent the website. I like the layout and design of both a lot. My only gripe is that like someone above mentioned, I would like to see an expansion of peer reviewed research sections. Even just 1 per month at an academic level, not just "watered down". For example. I hate it when a study is presented in one of these and its only the abstract and conclusion of a study that will be presented. Even then it will be re written in more simplistic language. Its a little insulting, IMO.

On a completely unrelated topic, I would also like to see more jobs in the back of the magazine. There are many shown on the website under "jobs" but not within the content of the magazine itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Jems and Ems World are to prehospital care like Muscle & Fitness and Muscular Development are to the Strength and Conditioning field. Lots and lots or pictures and advertising, and a couple of articles that would maybe benefit someone relatively new to the field.

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Jems and Ems World are to prehospital care like Muscle & Fitness and Muscular Development are to the Strength and Conditioning field. Lots and lots or pictures and advertising, and a couple of articles that would maybe benefit someone relatively new to the field.

I don't know if I completely agree with that. I have been in EMS for over 10 years and I still read them occasionally, just as I still visit EMTLIFE.

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
You're still subscribed to Seventeen though, right?

How else do you expect me to keep up with Justin Bieber and the latest teen gossip?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We get them at the station. (For some reason I still get a free JEMS subscription for attending EMStoday) and I browse through them. It's interesting to see what the magazine (read: sponsors) consider to be the "hot topics" and my old Paramedic instructor writes a column for EMSworld. I love to see what he's spewing every month. :/

I wouldn't pay for either one ... but if it's here I'll flip through it.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I don't know if I completely agree with that. I have been in EMS for over 10 years and I still read them occasionally, just as I still visit EMTLIFE.

I still read the EMS mags occasionally as well, but I would never buy them. The articles can be somewhat decent, but certainly not anything I've never heard or seen before. These mags seem like they're 80% ads and fluff. They seem to migrate into the fire station, so I'll take an hour two if I'm bored and check them out.

Same for the exercise magazines.

If I want to learn useful information for EMS, I might read Primary Cardiology Second Edition, by Braunwald for example, or the Manual of Emergency Airway Management by Walls.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

mycrofft

I miss the original FIREHOUSE and EMT LIFE magazines (I was a Firehouse subscriber from edition 2 [they sent me #1 as a bonus] through 1980). EMT LIFE had many articles by Dr Norm McSwain and apparently not enough ads.

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I miss the original FIREHOUSE and EMT LIFE magazines (I was a Firehouse subscriber from edition 2 [they sent me #1 as a bonus] through 1980). EMT LIFE had many articles by Dr Norm McSwain and apparently not enough ads.

EMT LIFE, had a magazine? Or is it just coincidence the names are the same?

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief

The editors aren't bad at JEMS. It moves at a glacial pace though. EMS World has the benefit of having an editor who lives on my block, so I could probably move that along faster.

If you do write a research heavy article for JEMS it takes a while to get it out the door.

mycrofft

EMT LIFE, had a magazine? Or is it just coincidence the names are the same?

It was "EMTLife", orange and B&W cover, inside no color at all initially. I imagine it was bought out and subsumed.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
I read EMS World on my iPad. It's free, and being very new to EMS I find it interesting to read non-textbook material about the industry.

Will I still read it 5 years from now? I dunno, but for someone new with a LOT to learn I like it, and ya can't beat the price.

Didn't know ems world had a free online version. I've downloaded it for the iPad now so I have something to read in my down time, even though it lacks depth. I can make up for that with personal study.