I am in a predicament.

jedirye

Forum Lieutenant
The subject couldn't be more right, to be honest. I have taken this summer EMT course at my local community college and am loving it. It's almost over actually, I just have a final exam and my practicals. I've done extremely well on all the written tests and quizzes but I am only mediocre at best with the practicals (how is that possible? I don't know).
I decided to take this class to give myself experience in the medical field, as opposed to working at my current employer, Walmart. I did not expect to take such a liking to this, but I do. Unfortunately, however, I did not get into the nursing program this year (which is my main goal, eventually) so I thought I would go onto the Paramedic program. This is where all the problems begin. I realize I am at a quick disadvantage because I have basically no experience as an EMT-B and want to go on to EMT-P, but I have a scholarship that must be used this year to pay for my schooling, so I'm hoping to overcome that. Also, my EMT class ends July 18th and the Paramedic class starts Aug. 23rd. The problem here is that after reviewing this site, there is no place to take the National test in Florida to get my EMT cert which is a prereq. for the EMT-P. Honestly, it just feels like there is an unnecessary amount of odds against me for some reason, and it's making me feel like I shouldn't pursue this. What are your thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Alternatives? Anything? Heh. :wacko:

Thanks!

-rye

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Oh..oh..someone just got bit by the EMS bug ..!

Now, before making rash decisions please take a few hours and really think this out. We have enough career jumpers and truthfully we don't need anymore. As a Paramedic and a RN, I can attest these are SEPARATE careers and should NEVER be confused as being the same. Take, other courses such as anatomy, physiology, psychology etc.. that can transfer across...

Now, some suggestions, if you REALLY want to be a medic, then I would explore going into the Paramedic program. Now, please be aware this is too not similar to your Basic class. Many recommend a year experience.. and so on, but that would be nice, however not really essential. Like other health care providers, you have to grasp things faster and study harder.

Far as NREMT exam, look at their web site: WWW.NREMT.ORG and check the schedule, they offer hundreds of Basic exams in several states. Maybe you can test in one of these.. be sure your school performs the practical portion or at least ask for one that offers a practical.

Good luck to you and your potential new career.
R/r 911

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Where are you going to scchool????

Why would they not offer the NR at the end of the course. I have taught at several places in FLorida over the years. Offering NR was always an option, and most programs only offer NR to keep it simple, then the state just sends you their card after completion.

Anyways, if your school is not offering it, call some of the others. They will let you sit in on their exam. As many schools there are in FLorida and classes are continuous, there has to be an exam somewhere.

Good Luck...

OP
OP
jedirye

jedirye

Forum Lieutenant
Ridryder911 said:
Oh..oh..someone just got bit by the EMS bug ..!
As a Paramedic and a RN, I can attest these are SEPARATE careers and should NEVER be confused as being the same. Take, other courses such as anatomy, physiology, psychology etc.. that can transfer across...
Good luck to you and your potential new career.
R/r 911

Thank you for your suggestions, however I realize these two are different careers. On my hospital clinicals I worked both with a Paramedic and an RN for twelve hours each, I loved both.
Also, I would love to take other courses but there are none to take. I've taken all the prereq's for the nursing program, even some medical-related classes I didn't need, hence the reason I was pursuing this. It interests me greatly, nonetheless.

akflightmedic said:
Where are you going to scchool????

Why would they not offer the NR at the end of the course. I have taught at several places in FLorida over the years. Offering NR was always an option, and most programs only offer NR to keep it simple, then the state just sends you their card after completion.

Anyways, if your school is not offering it, call some of the others. They will let you sit in on their exam. As many schools there are in FLorida and classes are continuous, there has to be an exam somewhere.

Good Luck...

I am going to Pasco Hernando Community College and although they do not offer the NR, we do have a class where we fill out the application to take it <_< The website I linked to (NREMT.ORG) didn't list any in Florida hence the reason I didn't think they were offering the test any time soon. Asking other colleges is a good suggestion, thank you. However, I was informed recently that the EMT class that graduated in May still hasn't taken their test either, for the same reason of no available tests.

-rye

disassociative

Forum Captain
As far as your problems with practicals; let your instructor know, this is what they are paid for. Who knows, they might just setup a clinical day where mock situations are setup; mine did. Don't be ashamed of anything you haven't pefected--if you were perfect, well; why would you be the student then?

As far as Pmed; RidRyder is right; it is a completely different world--I am getting ready to begin mine in Aug. Find you a volunteer service(fire dept, rescue squad, etc); and become a responder for a while--this will show you a bit of what to expect.

If you decide not to go Pmed this year; you don't have to let that scholarship
go to waste at all! Most RN programs require pre-requisite courses such as: Anatomy & Physiology 1 & 2, psychology, etc like RidRyder said.

Also; why not throw in mathematics? This way when next year comes around
and you take your NET you will be more than prepared--and will be able to transfer your credits.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Other helpful courses such as medical terminology, College Algebra, Chemistry, Microbiology, developmental Pychology, Socialogy, etc..
You may have most of pre-req's, there are plenty of other associated classes as well.

I highly suggest that you get an assigned counselor that will help direct your classes and make sure that your credits transfer.

Again, good luck

R/r 911

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
I've seen some good advise here. I would like to give you my opinion/advise on two important points. First, you don't need experience as an emt-b to go on to Paramedic as most will tell you. Second, even if you decide against a career in ems, I guarantee you will not regret having a paramedic education.

I'm not familiar with Florida but good luck finding a certifying exam.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
You can also travel out of state and test with other schools...if that is financially possible for you.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
There's just one thing I'd like to add that might help. You don't have to actually have your NR in hand when you apply. Show proof that you finished EMT-B and that let them know you are scheduled to take th NR. They'll let you in the class on an honor basis and if you don't pass the NR then they'll arrange something for you while you re-take it.

OP
OP
jedirye

jedirye

Forum Lieutenant
Ridryder911 said:
Other helpful courses such as medical terminology, College Algebra, Chemistry, Microbiology, developmental Pychology, Socialogy, etc..
You may have most of pre-req's, there are plenty of other associated classes as well.
R/r 911

I've been in college for two years, summers as well, and taken college classes while attending high school. I've completed those classes and a plethora of others, hence the reason why I mentioned I literally have no more pertinent classes to take. ^_^

Wingnut said:
There's just one thing I'd like to add that might help. You don't have to actually have your NR in hand when you apply. Show proof that you finished EMT-B and that let them know you are scheduled to take th NR. They'll let you in the class on an honor basis and if you don't pass the NR then they'll arrange something for you while you re-take it.

That's actually wonderful and quite relieving to hear. I will talk to my advisor to see if that holds true, as I'd hope to God it does. I think I will do fairly well on the NREMT as in class I'm more book smart, which is why I'm sweating bricks over my practicals on Tuesday...... :ph34r:

akflightmedic said:
You can also travel out of state and test with other schools...if that is financially possible for you.

Funny, I was actually going to plan a trip to NY to take it, while also visit my family. I hate to fly though.

Well I appreciate all your advice, guys! It's been quite helpful and allowed me to take my mind off of it while just focusing on getting my cert. My final is on Monday and practicals on Tuesday so wish me luck!!

-rye

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
GOOD LUCK!!!

OP
OP
jedirye

jedirye

Forum Lieutenant
Well I got a 90% on my final (barely an A...) and I got full credit on all the skill stations. However, if I want to get an A in the class overall I'll have to get 175 points (out of 200 possible) at each of the two scenerios (either a medical and trauma, or both the same). Anything good to remember? This is my weakest area and I never volunteered to be lead in class so I also do not have much practice either (in retrospect, that really hurt me).
Things to know:
1. Scene Safety
2. BSI
3. ABC's
4. Pulse Ox
5. Glucometer
6. O2
7. C-spine stabalization (if needed)
8. SAMPLE
9. OPQRST
10. ALS

I figure I'll bring a note card to each call so I can write down the vitals as I never remember them, incase I need to call medical direction, etc. Anything else? I'm sweating bricks here, can't wait until it's over. I figure if anything, a B will do but I really wanted to bring my GPA up.

-rye

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Just try to remember the basics. Go back to them if you feel stuck. That worked for me! :)

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
3 Things saved my *** during practicals maybe they'll help you...Here's what I did:

1. I suck at memorizing, so I took both a trauma and med skill sheet and made a whole set of easy to remember mneumonics. I still have it if you want a copy. Actually I posted it on here once.

2. Everytime I got stuck, I went back to ABC's and it reset my mneumonics. I had a electrical shock patient for mine and was on a roll, remembered everything. Then they had my pt have a seizure. I killed 2 birds with one stone, because it screwed up my "roll" I had to almost start over to get my mnemonics right again and any time something changes in your pt's condition you have to go back to ABC.

3. Instead of a notecard, just have a pen & write it on your gloves instead. It seems dumb but it really impressed my instructor.

disassociative

Forum Captain
It works well; we write on our gloves all the time; especially when the pt
is reading off the meds they have taken.

OP
OP
jedirye

jedirye

Forum Lieutenant
I wasn't sure if they would have gloves there, but they did so I used that to write on (also because I forgot the notecards).

Well fellas, I did quite well. The afternoon shift was a group of three girls and three boys. Someone in my group volunteered to go first, which is what I didn't want to do so we were good to go... Well, except that he picked them randomly and I went first anyhow. I had a patient with chest pain, did all my acronyms, o2, etc. Called medical direction to administer nitro and everything was fine until he collapsed and was in cardia arrest. I got full credit on that practical and a 170/200 on the other due to various mistakes. All in all, I pulled an A in the class. The only one, also, despite there being a former medic retaking the class because he let his cert. die. Heh. We meet again Monday to fill out our NREMT paperwork and then I'll talk to an advisor/admission officer to see if they'd let me in the Paramedic program without my EMT-B cert. yet due to the constraints of their scheduling.
I appreciate all the help that was offered. Now it's time to let the month left of my summer be dedicated to Xbox.

-rye

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
Everyone has been very helpful and very true in ther statements.

I would like to add that you can go somewhere else and transfer your job at wal mart and do your schooling at another location where perhaps you will be able to get a job on a truck once you get your basic. I say this because, not all programs in all cities are awesome. Not all of them have relationships with fire departments, ambulance companies and hospitals, and not all instructors are awesome either, as may be your case.

Plus, if you dont want to live in florida all your life many states dont rcognise national registry. I know it sounds insane that the Unites States of America cannot standardize care, programs, training, protocol etc... but thats the way it is. Be sure of where you want to go before you get too deep in certifications. My state has a paramedic to RN course, im sure there are many areas that do... perhaps you are not one of them though.

Good luck.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Congratulations on a job well done, Jed!! Every one of us has been in your shoes at one time or another, and my biggest regret now is that I didn't know about this web site then. Study breeds confidence, confidence breeds ability, and ability breeds desire for more knowledge. In other words, study, Study, STUDY!! I went as far to put a folder with the Registry skill sheets in the bathroom (laugh if you will, but it works, believe me) It doesn't seem to sound like it's a problem with you, but I have also been told by every instuctor I've ever had to check your ego at the door, too. I hope you get that test soon; sound like you'd be a good addition to any organization. Best of luck!