Hurry Hurry Oh Please Hurry!

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Called for a 79 y.o. female who's not acting her usual self and low BP. (actual call i had) Ask for info and you shall receive (to the best of my knowledge).

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
info please. history, pulse, resp. etc just the basics for now. could be CVA, Orthostatic hypotension making her feel not her self, dehydration, CHF, Myocarial infartion, or she may be on a new medication.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
fma08

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Pt is in a care facility (officially a hospital, but this particular place is renowned where i work as taking not so great care of their patients), had a stroke about a month ago. been in CCU for a while, had been coming around from it, trach was placed and removed by her about a day ago. staff said she fell yesterday. around 1600 noticed a decreasing LOC. (now its about 1830) currently pt is lying on back with feet elevated, staff was kind enough to put a NRB on, snoring/gurgling respirations at about28-30. BP is 50's/30's. Staff had just connected a Dopamine drip as you walked in. no radial pulse present obviously.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
after they took out the trach if not treated properly she could be experienceing these symptoms from septicemia. is she still on meds or were there any that were discontinued recently? the CVA is she still on meds for that? has she been recieving the proper nutrition?

OP
OP
fma08

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
shes on antibiotics and blood thinners, BS is 200 (i think thats where you were headed with the nutrition thing right?) and aside from a 3" stack of papers the staff hands you they dont give you anymore info, (honestly, we fought with them to just get this much)

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
is she feeling any pain in her chest, like when she breaths? (thinking pulmonary emboli after ET tube removal) what was she doing before whe started acting funny?

OP
OP
fma08

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
shes unresponsive, sorry, forgot to say that, around 1600 when she started the decreasing LOC her family was there visiting her. she was laying in bed, and it was the family that alerted the staff to her not acting right.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Do we have an ECG reading? Does she have Parkinsons?

OP
OP
fma08

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
ecg is junctional in the 50's, no to parkinson's

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Could we have full vitals? You said no radial pulse but what is her heart rate? Does she have a fever? Is her skin blotchy? Red? Gray? I'm thinking sounds like septic shock but tough to tell without vitals.

OP
OP
fma08

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
hospital swears no OD, no beta-blockers. been fairly healthy till the stroke. vitals, RR 28-30 snoring/gurgling, pulse matches the monitor, BP now 60's over 40's thanks to the dop. temp of 99.0 (but she had about a dozen blankets on her when we walked in) skin some bruising noted in several spots on her hands and arms and on her head otherwise pale, clammy, cool on the forehead, warm at the core.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
So, why did she fall yesterday? Syncopal episode, or did she trip and fall?

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
or is the hospital staff abusive and neglective?

OP
OP
fma08

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
arguably neglective due to past patients.... as for the fall, tripped

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
is she still on her meds for the stroke? is she on meds for the ET? does she show Erythema around the healing ET?

OP
OP
fma08

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
she's on blood thinners, antibiotics, and the staff just put her on dopamine... aside from that you don't know (like i said earlier... we had to fight with the staff to get just this much)

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
she's on blood thinners and she had a fall. how do the contusions feel? are they riggid?

OP
OP
fma08

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
there's a small hematoma on her head up under one of the contusions, staff said it was there yesterday shortly after she fell, has not gotten any bigger

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Pupils, reactions, how do they move side to side? up and down?