How would you get this patient out??

ClarkKent

Forum Lieutenant
If the driver of this truck needed to be backboard, how would you get the driver down.

hello.jpg

I found this on the net. Just thought I would ask

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
well if that truck is not going to go anywhere, i would say pull your squad or engine next to it, and stand on the top of your vehicle.. but honestly I do not know.. lol

that would be a good question to ask an EMT or Paramedic class lol, just think of the answers those students would come up with lol

piranah

Forum Captain
get some type of makeshift platform.....and your not going to safely backboard someone immediately.....KED board would be a prime usage in this situation....you can KED him then u can lower onto the platform or u can actually lower him to ground via pully system using the lifting staps/harness.....but that depends technically im not gunna get up there until the truck is deamed stable and "safe"....

firecoins

IFT Puppet

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
well if that truck is not going to go anywhere, i would say pull your squad or engine next to it, and stand on the top of your vehicle.. but honestly I do not know.. lol

that would be a good question to ask an EMT or Paramedic class lol, just think of the answers those students would come up with lol

I agree partly with this, I would use the KED as stated, and use a make shift lowerling systen maybe the stokes or something to lower to ground units.

Side note..why arnt all the FFs in turnout gear and ANSI approved reflective vest (as required by the fedral government).

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Assess patient.

If patient doesn't require medical care, or at minimum is mobile and spinal immbolization is not indicated, have the patient climb down the ladder.

As far as vests, if the road is closed down, why would you need vests?

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Side note..why arnt all the FFs in turnout gear and ANSI approved reflective vest (as required by the fedral government).

As an FD command officer, I don't see a problem with the level of protection provided by the (wildland?) apparel being worn, since none of the wearers are directly involved with the rescue effort. I am more concerned by the fact that the firefighter on the truck is in imminent peril of a near-ten foot plunge and isn't secured or using a ladder. As far as the vests go, (and I am the driving force behind our department getting them; I'm a huge fan), it looks to me that the roadway has been completely shut down. That being the case, there is no danger from vehicles passing in close proximity to the firefighters. While the letter of 23 CFR 634 does specify that the vest be worn while on the roadway or close proximity of the roadway, a closed roadway has now become a closed environment with essentially no risk from passing vehicles and therefore negating the need for the vests. JPINFV, you got your reply posted before I finished typing mine...lol

Last edited by a moderator:

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic

Some of them look like forest fire fighters, so that may have something to do with it.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I am more concerned by the fact that the firefighter on the truck is in imminent peril of a near-ten foot plunge and isn't secured or using a ladder.

Kind of weird, considering there is a ladder going up to the passenger side of the truck. Why didn't the firefighter stay on the ladder to do what he needed to? If he needed to get to the driver, why didn't they put the ladder on the driver's side? I don't have all of the information about the situation, but it is still kind of curious :unsure:

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member

Could be the photo was taken before the November 2008 mandate?

Foxbat

Forum Captain
You can try leaning 2-3 ground ladders against the truck, put a FF on each ladder and have them lower the LBB.
The biggest challenge will probably be rotating the LBB.

dmc2007

Forum Captain
Wouldn't this present a major scene safety issue that would need to be resolved before care is initiated?

Assuming the truck was stabilized in that position, why not bring a Ladder truck up along side and raise it the short distance to the cab? That way, you have a stable surface that's designed to be walked on (unlike the top of an ambulance or rescue.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Wouldn't this present a major scene safety issue that would need to be resolved before care is initiated?

Assuming the truck was stabilized in that position, why not bring a Ladder truck up along side and raise it the short distance to the cab? That way, you have a stable surface that's designed to be walked on (unlike the top of an ambulance or rescue.

Why would you go and suggest a technique that makes sense?:p

JPINFV

Gadfly
The funny thing is that no one is even thinking about doing an assessment. Is anyone even asking if the driver needs spinal immbolization?

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
Int his case if the driver needed to be boarded and lowered. Looks like their are plenty of anchor points, so if you don't have access to a ladder truck here are my thoughts. Rig a lowering system over the truck, place the driver in a KED or XP-1 whichever you use. Place or tie a harness on him
,position him onto a secured stokes basket,lash him in then lower him to the ground
My biggest safety concern with this photo is the firefighter on the side of the truck is not secured, and I also have questions about how stable the truck is. I feel that the road is probably shut down and agree that the gear those in the photo are wearing is adequate for the situation. I do applaud the fact that those near the scene are wearing helmets.

Foxbat

Forum Captain
The funny thing is that no one is even thinking about doing an assessment. Is anyone even asking if the driver needs spinal immbolization?
The OP said "If the driver of this truck needed to be backboard..."

JPINFV

Gadfly
That's what I get for looking at the pretty picture.