How to gain experience...

How is someone to gain experience in this industry if they aren't hired on in the first place. I had an interview with ProTransport-1 last week and they got back to me today saying that I wasn't a close enough match for the position.

While I am well aware that EMT's are a dime a dozen in Ca, it is indeed frustrating to know that in order to get hired on, you basically need to have some sort of experience.

Two questions.

1.) It is worth reapplying after school gets out and see if I get hired on?

2.) How does one go about getting experience if no one is going to give someone a chance to prove him or herself?

Thanks Everyone!
-Bruce

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Apply everywhere, keep reapplying. If you really want to work, consider moving (to a different part of California or out of state).

It took me 13 months to get my first EMT job in California. I've been trying to do 911 so I even applied and interview 6 hours away from where I live, and I didn't get the job.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
move out of the failed state?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If you don't have the option to move out of california then apply everywhere. I had a total of 13 applications in when I got hired.

There are companies that will hire EMTs with no experience at all.

leoemt

Forum Captain
Apply everywhere but don't expect to be running 911 calls. You might have to get a start with an IFT service. Once you get your card and a little experience it should get easier.

I got hired by a private ambulance company here in WA but I can't work yet because the state has to approve my paperwork.

I feel for you because even here in WA they want experience. I was offered an opportunity to interview for a private ambulance right out of school, but then found out you had to already be certified as they don't do sponsorships.

Shepard

Forum Crew Member
Volunteer. A lot. Find the local FD and see if they take vollies. Go to the hospital and see if they have volunteer opportunities.