How to answer a "experience" question in an EMT-B interview

redbull

Forum Lieutenant
When and if I get an interview for EMT-B thru a private transport company, when they ask if I have any experience (I don't), how do I go about answering that? Turning a negative into a positive?

Thanks.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
When and if I get an interview for EMT-B thru a private transport company, when they ask if I have any experience (I don't), how do I go about answering that? Turning a negative into a positive?

Thanks.

You remind them that they are a transport company and ought not to be so picky :)

j/k If you have any transportation or medical experience at all, list it. If its a transport company (IFT), they may not ask the question, and even if they do, it likely won't be an issue if the rest of your application is good.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
When I interviewed at Senior Care, there were about 40 other people with me.

They were doing interviews all day.

I had put on my application I had no experience, they called me in anyway, I think they just invite anyone who applied. It is off the website, I think they just automate it. I have met other people that went through the same thing.

If you can get experience in a vollie do that. The person told me they accept vollie experience as experience. My instructors told me that most NYC employers consider it experience.

I met many people who did not get hired at Senir Care for no experience.

One guy in my vollie unit, a crew chief, has an abundance of experience, in 911, as an instructor, they offered him to be training officer for $16/hour, he countered $20 or he would walk, he walked, then got a job in the IT field.....

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
You remind them that they are a transport company and ought not to be so picky :)

j/k If you have any transportation or medical experience at all, list it. If its a transport company (IFT), they may not ask the question, and even if they do, it likely won't be an issue if the rest of your application is good.

they were not picky last year, I think it is supply and demand, enough people got EMT certs in the past year to fill their needs....

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
for my first job I interviewed with 160 people for 20 spots. i had zero experience.

I said I have no experience but I am eager to get some and I think your company is the best place to learn this job. and I got hired and a few months later I'm on an ALS rig

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
for my first job I interviewed with 160 people for 20 spots. i had zero experience.

I said I have no experience but I am eager to get some and I think your company is the best place to learn this job. and I got hired and a few months later I'm on an ALS rig

Are you a paramedic, or does your service have mixed crews ?

OP
OP
R

redbull

Forum Lieutenant

thanks i was thinking of saying the same :p but this is gonna b for the transport privates.

shakenblake

Forum Ride Along
It's a post like this that gives me some confidence in applying against other EMT-B's that have experience versus me not having any.

THANKS!!