How often do you monitor ETCO2?

Fox800

Forum Captain
How often do you utilize ETCO2 in your line of work?

Does you have the capabilities to use an ETCO2-equipped nasal cannula? You should.

Do you utilize ETCO2 on a BVM when you are ventilating patients, or only on an advaned airway (ET tube/King LT/Combitube/LMA)?

Do you use it on the following patients: overdoses, shock states, chest pain, altered mental status, glucose abnormalities, environmental emergencies, etc.? Or strictly for respiratory/airway/arrest cases?

Do you use ETCO2 to guide medication therapy (including pain management)and fluid administration?

Does your service have a guideline/policy mandating ETCO2 monitoring for ALL patients receiving controlled medications?

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
We only have electronic capnography for use with intubated patients.

A while ago use of ETCO2 on the end of an LMA was bought up but was decided against due to cost.
'
If I am not mistaken, cant you get those little capnographs that fit onto the end of a bag mask which are disposable / realitavely inexpensive?

OP
OP
F

Fox800

Forum Captain
B203351_1.jpg

This device has changed the way I do my job. It's so helpful. It sucks that more places don't use ETCO2 nasal cannulas. I monitor ETCO2 on probably...80-85% of my patients. It's awesome.

This is the only service I've worked at that purchases the ETCO2 cannulas.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
We utilize the Zoll side stream nasal cannula's in addition to the airway adapters for intubated patients. Most of our MICU Paramedic's will utilize it as needed for respiratory patients. Our CCT and SCT crews are required to use it on every CCT / SCT level patient regardless of condition or etiology. For them it is a required vital sign.

ETCO2 monitoring is a standard of care for mechanically ventilated patients, it amazes me that more services are not utilizing this valuable resource.

mar7967

Forum Crew Member
I am a basic, so I am not really supposed to monitor ETCO2. As for our paramedics, some use it on 80-90% of patients, others barely use it even on those with respiratory distress. The coprs is trying to get them to use it more.

We have the cannulas, as well as the ones for advanced airways.

somePerson

Forum Crew Member
ETCO2 is the gold standard for intubated patients here. Have to get an Etco2 prior and after intubation.

Also most respiratory distress patients, and I'll throw one on a hypervent. pt. just to see how low their etco2 is.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Required for all intubated and advanced airway patients.
Can be used any other time at Paramedic's discretion.
I use them for pretty much all the situations you described.
I love the ETCO2 nasal.