How much schooling?

kassidyhill

Forum Ride Along
Hi, my name is Kassidy I am from Atlanta and I am very interested in becoming an EMT. I have already found a school, Atlanta Tech. However I'm still confused on the schooling. Okay, so my goal is that I want to become an EMT-I. I really would like to know the steps, how far does the program go, how long does it take. Also, at the end of the program do they help you find a job or is it like high school where they hand you a diploma and say good luck? I still have one year of high school left aswell, so is there anything I need to start doing now to help me in the future. I am very determined to make this my goal. I just want more insight and hey, who better to ask than actual Paramedics!

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
If you haven't been in EMS for a long time, you may have read about EMT-I's and not realized how niche their position really is. (I would liken it to being a warrant officer in the military...they serve a very specific, necessary role, but they don't make up the majority of personnel)

Without getting into the very detailed specifics, I would encourage you to finish EMT, work as an EMT, find a good mentor wherever you work and then discuss with them whether you should stay as an EMT, go to EMT-I school or go to Paramedic school instead.

As for EMT schooling:

Every state has its own laws regarding EMS, so every state is different. Typically: you enroll in a school that is 1-6 months long. It is fairly easy in terms of physical requirements, and fairly easy in terms of how hard the material is, but students usually have other challenges with EMT school.

It can sometimes be a little more formal than they are used to, like, call of you're going to be 5 minutes late, or you're kicked out of school. Wear a certain uniform. Complete this easy material, but it's 50 pages by tomorrow night, and you better know it backwards and forwards. Every school, state, instructor and personal experience is different. Almost all of them expect you to be fairly professional, though. Meaning, don't show up to a lab in flip-flops or to a ride along or hospital clinical in jeans.

Like I already said, every state and school is different, but, for the most part, when you finish the class and final exam, then you usually take a two part test. The first portion is often held at your school (but may be somewhere else), and you are expected to perform all of the skills you have been training for during class. (Not as hard as it sounds) Then, you usually sign up for an online exam which is taken at a testing center under some fairly sterile conditions. This test is not hard, but it is not similar to other tests that you have taken. It doesn't just test your knowledge, it tests how you reason through things and whether or not you can think critically. Some people pass this right away, other have to retake it.

After this is done, you apply for certification or licensure in your state. Schools do not typically help you get a job, but usually through the course you will have met enough people in hospitals or at fire stations or through other students, that you will most likely know where to apply.

Like I said: work as an EMT for a while, and then get some advice about your next step.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
BLS vs ALS:

BLS means: Basic Life Support
ALS means: Advanced Life Support

Basic Life support is typically anything non-invasive. Everything done is outside of the body. So, that would be splinting a fracture, listening to lung sounds, delivering a baby (since it is coming to the outside of the body).

Advanced Life Support is typically anything that is invasive. Things like: placing an IV into a vein, giving someone a shot into their muscle or beneath their skin, giving someone a medication (though there are a few exceptions for BLS), and various other things in addition to Basic Life Support.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Just FYI, in ATL the basic entry point for EMS on a 911 truck is AEMT (or, EMT-I)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Hill

Forum Crew Member
Thank you so much! You don't understand how long I've had these questions. I'm a very careful and thoughtful person and I try to gain all the knowledge before hand so I won't be completely blind. Thank you also for the advice about waiting to become an EMT-I, makes perfect sense to me.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Can you elaborate a bit more please?
There are different types of EMS. There is 911, which is what you probably think of when you hear of EMS or see ambulances. They're the ones with the flashy lights and sirens who responds to scenes when someone calls 911 with a medical emergency. The other major type of EMS is IFT or inter-facility transport, which means moving sick people between nursing homes, hospitals, doctor's offices, clinics, etc.

What they are trying to say is that you need AEMT to get a job on a 911 truck, but I don't think that is true. I know of a select few units in Grady EMS that run BLS 911 with EMT-Bs and I believe they also can staff their ALS units paramedic/basic as well as AEMT/paramedic.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
There are different types of EMS. There is 911, which is what you probably think of when you hear of EMS or see ambulances. They're the ones with the flashy lights and sirens who responds to scenes when someone calls 911 with a medical emergency. The other major type of EMS is IFT or inter-facility transport, which means moving sick people between nursing homes, hospitals, doctor's offices, clinics, etc.

What they are trying to say is that you need AEMT to get a job on a 911 truck, but I don't think that is true. I know of a select few units in Grady EMS that run BLS 911 with EMT-Bs and I believe they also can staff their ALS units paramedic/basic as well as AEMT/paramedic.
If they do that's a new-ish development. Last i looked they required AEMT/EMT-I but that's admittedly been a while since I did look.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Wasn't trying to argue with you. Just was citing a source...

If you work at Grady and know differently then awesome. I wouldn't be surprised if they're running B/I or B/B for transfers...911 though? Nothing against BLS providers, that's just a big change from all ALS ambulances. Makes you wonder why they're going that route rather than sticking to I/I staffing for lower acuity traffic.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Wasn't trying to argue with you. Just was citing a source...

If you work at Grady and know differently then awesome. I wouldn't be surprised if they're running B/I or B/B for transfers...911 though? Nothing against BLS providers, that's just a big change from all ALS ambulances. Makes you wonder why they're going that route rather than sticking to I/I staffing for lower acuity traffic.
No, sorry. Didn't meet to definitely say that I know one way. I work as an ER tech and we take in a lot of Grady crews, but I guess I just never really payed attention to who is driving. I'll take a good look tomorrow though.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
I stand corrected. Grady is exclusively AEMT and Medics. DeKalb County AMR runs B/P.