How much money does a paramedic make per year in Philadelphia, PA area???

Michael Iacono

Forum Crew Member
Im torn between going back to school for the paramedic program or nursing.

I personally think that Paramedic is a better job for me, but the money as a nurse seems to be more than double!

SO my question, in Philadelphia, PA area, how much money would I make as a Paramedic???

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
If you're looking for what would give you the better salary it would be hands down be to go the nursing route. But if you are set on wanting to be a paramedic then don't let the lower wages discourage you.

Angel

Paramedic
i wish i wouldve pursued nursing...first...but now I want to do PA.
youll have a better lifestyle as a nurse. Challenge for your medic and work per diem on a truck.

OP
OP
M

Michael Iacono

Forum Crew Member
I talked to the lady on the phone at my school about the paramedic program and job and the differences she described in the jobs makes me really think paramedic is more for me!

I just wonder...she said u usually work 24 hour shifts and alot of guys get 2 jobs. Like i said tho, how much money am I looking at....I mean 2 jobs at 50k a piece is 100k a year!

Not to shabby for a job Ill like (from what I i think/hope) better...

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Most places don't hit 50k a year without overtime. If you are shooting for two jobs like that you would burn yourself out quick. The time commitment to earn 100k in EMS is huge. You don't get into EMS to make the big bucks. You get into it because you have a passion for it or are using it as a stepping stone to fire or other jobs that will pay better. If you are insistant on earning a lot of money go into nursing or PA school and challenge for your paramedic. Do paramedicine on the side.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
If you were to work for the Philadelphia Fire Department, you could make over 60K without overtime, but you'll be burnt out and ready to leave after 5-10 years. Hourly pay in SE PA is around 20$/hr, I think. In South Jersey, it's around 22$/hr, more if you work PRN (e.g. 27$/hr at one place). But, I'm a little out of the loop. Some critical care transfer services pay over 50,000/year.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
I talked to the lady on the phone at my school about the paramedic program and job and the differences she described in the jobs makes me really think paramedic is more for me!

I just wonder...she said u usually work 24 hour shifts and alot of guys get 2 jobs. Like i said tho, how much money am I looking at....I mean 2 jobs at 50k a piece is 100k a year!

Not to shabby for a job Ill like (from what I i think/hope) better...

Get your nurse, get your pre-hospital nursing cert to challenge the paramedic certification and do it that way. 100k sounds like a lot of money, but that's 80 hours a week and you're not going to want to do that all your life. Half the medics at my service now are trying to get their nursing degrees or their PA so that they don't have to work ridiculous hours to make money (I work in one the busiest agencies outside of Philly).

If you get your RN (or BSN, which I recommend), you can work as a medic or a nurse (who can easily make double). You're also more competitive for flight EMS and critical care EMS jobs. If you get your medic you can only work as a medic. Trust me, I know medic school sounds quicker and its what you want, but you can do the same job with a nursing degree and have the potential to work a similar job for double the pay when your back starts to go out, for only a little more schooling.