how many hours worked a week?

Luicur

Forum Ride Along
In regards to working for a private ambulance company in the U.S as either an EMT-B or EMT-P

What are your average work week hours? Also, what are the most hours you have worked in a week?

what's the maximum hours you can work in a week?

Just trying to see what's others usually average or top off at the end of a work week.

Thanks in advance ! ;)

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Normal for my company on a 12 hour unit is 36 hours on week A and 48 hours on week B.

No set amount of how many hours can be worked in the week.

My max was 24 hours a day for 21 days however it was on a special assignment unit and definitely not the normal.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
We do 48 a week at my current job, 2 24s a week. Longest I've ever been on the clock was 11 straight days for a disaster deployment, or 168 hours for a normal schedule

OP
OP
L

Luicur

Forum Ride Along
Thanks, really appreciate your response. I'm from Miami, Fl about to take my NREMT licensing exam and looking to work for a private ambulance company as a start. Aiming for 80+ hours a week, trying to fund my medics course as soon as possible. I hear most companies allow as many hours as you can do in south Florida, just looking for reference.

OP
OP
L

Luicur

Forum Ride Along
Normal for my company on a 12 hour unit is 36 hours on week A and 48 hours on week B.

No set amount of how many hours can be worked in the week.

My max was 24 hours a day for 21 days however it was on a special assignment unit and definitely not the normal.

Thanks!

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Thanks, really appreciate your response. I'm from Miami, Fl about to take my NREMT licensing exam and looking to work for a private ambulance company as a start. Aiming for 80+ hours a week, trying to fund my medics course as soon as possible. I hear most companies allow as many hours as you can do in south Florida, just looking for reference.

If you work 80+ hours a week on an ambulance you'll be burnt out before the 6 month mark.

Tk11

Forum Captain
The company I'm at at least 35 hours is required to be considered full time. People often work more.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I probably will. but i got to make an effort. the pay is horrible.

I'm part time and I'm going to put myself through medic school. Granted I had a well paying job last year (seasonal job) that allowed me to save money. I make $10.51/hr and that along with the money I've saved will allow me to go to medic school.

What I'm getting at is save up and save yourself. No use in getting burnt out as a EMT just to become a crappy burnt out medic.

OP
OP
L

Luicur

Forum Ride Along
I'm part time and I'm going to put myself through medic school. Granted I had a well paying job last year (seasonal job) that allowed me to save money. I make $10.51/hr and that along with the money I've saved will allow me to go to medic school.

What I'm getting at is save up and save yourself. No use in getting burnt out as a EMT just to become a crappy burnt out medic.

Very understandable many thanks!. I am trying to rush the funds for medics so i can get hired at UM hospital as an ER Tech. higher my chances of getting hired.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
At my company you can work up to 60 hours in any one stretch, but due to pay rules pretty much has to be 2x24's with a 12 back to back since you have to have a minimum 4 hour break after a 12hr shift before being allowed to work a 24 (apparently less than 4 hour break means you get the 12 hour pay rate for the follow on 24 hour shift which means 24 hours at double time pay, which I would love to get lol). My FTO and his partner didn't know the answer to the follow on question of how many hours after the 60 hour stretch before you're allowed to work again...

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
For my public department I am currently on a 42 hour work week. Which works out to 60 hours one week and 24 the next. That keeps repeating itself. Others at my department are on a 56 hour work week which works out to 24 hours on 72 off, with a pay back week once a month consisting of two 12 hour shifts.

Like someone else said. You will not last long doing 80 hours a week on a truck. Find a normal job while in medic school of you have to. That sounds freaking miserable.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
I don't work for a private, but we work a 40-hour week with 4 10-hour shifts. We can work a maximum of 16 consecutive hours and we need at least 8 hours off between shifts.

We also have an overtime cap of 30 hours/pay period.

rural medic

Forum Ride Along
I work for a private we work 48 on 48 off so a week is 72 or 96 hours. Counting a week as Sunday to Saturday. It adds up to spending 6 months a year at work if you don't pick up extra shifts my longest stretch is 6 days on 1 off then 5 more on.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Aiming for 80+ hours a week, trying to fund my medics course as soon as possible. I hear most companies allow as many hours as you can do in south Florida, just looking for reference.

As others already said, you'll burn out before you know it. And the paycheck will still be crap, because the taxes/deductions will eat it up.

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
Correct me if I'm wrong but it's no secret EMT's and Paramedics don't get paid enough. Working a crazy amount of hours right out of the gate to get money saved up because "the pay is horrible" is probably the wrong approach. I don't know about where you live but here in Minnesota EMT's and Paramedics are not paid enough, almost could be considered a slap in the face but I'm not going into EMS for the money. Maybe your end goal is a job in the EMS field that does pay quit well but taking a position right now with lower pay and hours that are not good for your mind or body seems like a waste and a way for you to end your career before it even starts.

If I've learned anything from lurking on here and from my instructors and family and friends in the field already its don't be in such a rush to make it to the top. Work in the field, get good at what you do and you'll get there. Slow down.

Scmedic08

Forum Probie
Not a private service, but working 24's normally 48 to 72 hours a week. Maximum at a time is 36 hours then you go home. I choose to not work 36's ever. But I usually work a part time transport gig on my second day off which is normally 8 hours. But I make sure I have my time off. Don't make the mistake of trying to work,work,work and expect to not be burnt out quick. Ambulances get old after too many hours lol especially trying to go to school on top of that

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Correct me if I'm wrong but it's no secret EMT's and Paramedics don't get paid enough. Working a crazy amount of hours right out of the gate to get money saved up because "the pay is horrible" is probably the wrong approach. I don't know about where you live but here in Minnesota EMT's and Paramedics are not paid enough, almost could be considered a slap in the face but I'm not going into EMS for the money. Maybe your end goal is a job in the EMS field that does pay quit well but taking a position right now with lower pay and hours that are not good for your mind or body seems like a waste and a way for you to end your career before it even starts.

If I've learned anything from lurking on here and from my instructors and family and friends in the field already its don't be in such a rush to make it to the top. Work in the field, get good at what you do and you'll get there. Slow down.

If people are willing to move there are plenty of gigs around the country that pay normal human salaries.