How many calls do you do in a "normal" shift?

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
And how long is that shift?

I interviewed at a company in Atlanta today.. I'm pretty sure they said they average 11 calls per truck per 24 hour shift.

I'm just being nosey and wondering where that falls in the "norm". The company that I did ride alongs with varied tremendously. 1 Monday I ran 16 calls in 16 hours, another Friday with a full moon I sat for 16 1/2 hours doing NOTHING.

mdtaylor

Forum Crew Member

I interviewed at a company in Atlanta today.. I'm pretty sure they said they average 11 calls per truck per 24 hour shift.

I'm just being nosey and wondering where that falls in the "norm". The company that I did ride alongs with varied tremendously. 1 Monday I ran 16 calls in 16 hours, another Friday with a full moon I sat for 16 1/2 hours doing NOTHING.

Happens to me too, although it seems to be tied to my partner. With one we get 6-7 calls in a 12 hour shift, and with another we can go a 24 without a call. In both cases it's happened multiple times. Ya just never know.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
it varies widely with time of day, time of year, weather, holidays etc.

ive had 24's run the gammet from 0(that was an awesome shift) to 23(i seriously considered suicide

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
I've run anywhere from 1 to 9 in a 12 hour shift. It sucks being the only medic crew on night shift!

-Kat

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Most shifts are 12 hours. We usually do 2 - 4 calls. Sometimes we get a doughnut (0), great on night shift. But othertimes 8 - 10. Or your truck will seem to do all the calls as you are always closer and another truck will follow you around and do none. No particular rhyme or reason to it, just Murphy's law. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Epi-do

I see dead people
Typically average 3-4 runs in a 24 hour shift. Like everyone else has said, it does vary though. Has ranged from 0-13 in 24 hours.

Arkymedic

Forum Captain

Usually 5-8 in 24 hr shift and at least 1 IFT to Tulsa or OKC lately.

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
avg 10-12 calls in a 14 hr shift, high of 18 in 16hrs (held over, Low Levels), low of 4 on a 14.

Pittsburgh Proud

Forum Lieutenant
There is nothing "Normal" There is one company I work for will only work 8 or 12 hour shifts because of the call volume. I have gone in at 8 am to start my shift and not made it back till after 4 pm after running 9 or so calls. Never made in back to the station once. Have to stay another 2 hours doing trip sheets.
I slow day might be 5 or 6 calls.

Another place I work we do 24's there and you might have 12 or so call and there are days where you may get 4 or 5, It don't happen often but it can happen.

As I said there is nothing normal about ems.... :p

JPINFV

Gadfly
5-6, but I've done as many as 11 in a 12 hour shift. I've also been "held over" (held is the wrong term if a company wants to pay me 20/hr to run calls (double time after 12 hours)) for up to 6 hours a handful of times when they were extremely short. Nothing like getting paid for almost 2 shifts in one day.

EMTDON970

Forum Crew Member
calls

I have done 8 in 12 hours and I have done 0 in 12 hours, depends. Hopnestly I like 2 or 3 a night, 0 gets boring and 8 gets nuts, usually with me there is a NET (non emergency transport) or two included in that.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
Tuesday-1(if that)
Saturday-2-4

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
We work on 12 hour shifts at our company. On average for me when i am on the fly car, i do about 10 -12 calls and roughly 400km travelling. As for our total calls for the branch (Transpotred patients) we average out a 700 per month.

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
Some feedback just for the past weekend... All 12 hour shifts.

Friday - 11 calls, mostly MVA's (day)
Saturday - 16 calls, mostly MVA's and 1 resus (day) / 1 MCI with 20 patients
Sunday - 7 calls, again, mostly MVA's and 2 resus (day) / (night) 1 MCI with 18 patients.
Monday - 2 calls, medical and armed robbery (night)

This is about average for a weekend, get's more hectic towards month end and sometimes its dead quiet. But, between 10-12 is the average... The severity of the calls also increase towards month end and a lot is aggravated crime.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
usually 2 per shift. 3 in 12 hours is a busy day.

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
our shifts are 0600-1800 (paid crew) and 1800-0600 (vol. crew) the paid crew averages around 4 calls a shift usually, the vol. crew usually around the same, but once summer hits the paid crew is up to about 6-8 calls per shift on average, vol. goes up to about 5-7 or so. I have had one night where we had 12 calls back to back 9 of them ALS and the remaining 3 toned as ALS but downgraded to BLS by the tek in the rig....that was a fun night!