How important should benefits be?

Williams60601

Forum Ride Along
I work 2 EMS jobs. 1 I'm only part time, this has great benefits for full time employees. Top notch insurance, retirement, uniform allowance etc. I use to be full time here but got sick of running 6-10 BS calls per shift. My other job is extremely laid back, super nice administrator, few calls. And very relaxing, but 0 benefits. I just got married and would love to provide insurance for my wife, but I'm debating if it's worth it to give up this cushy job which a love and go back to a super busy service, just for the benefits. We're both young with no major health problems. Too be honest, j don't think I like EMS anymore. The worst part is the stupid *** nursing home calls and 2 am calls, when I'm awoken from a dead sleep and dazed and confused will I still try to wake up. I like to think I'm a knowledgable, good paramedic and want benefits, but I just can't decide if I'll be happy there now, even tho I wasn't before. Idk why I lost so much interest in EMS. I use to study constantly, always taking courses to learn me etc. I just don't enjoy it anymore. Advice?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Or, go take the job with benefits while you look for something else. One health issue requiring surgery/hospitalization can wipe out a couple financially.
Completely agree. Having insurance can mean the difference of paying a few hundred or a couple of thousand dollars, to owing money the rest of your life.

You might want to consider signing up for healthcare.gov. Better than not having any.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Also, there are private insurance companies that you can sign up for as an individual. It will be very expensive, but that option is available.