How important is axis deviation in EMS?

VirginiaEMT

Forum Lieutenant
How important is it to be able to determine left or right axis deviation in EMS? Why?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Important if your using a 12 less for more than STEMI determination. Useful for things like determining VT vs abarent conduction, heart strain patterns, LVH and so much more.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
TomB probably covered this already within his blog, but Axis is useful for determining a ventricular focus (extreme RAD, for example) versus a supraventricular focus with aberrancy, or the presence of hemiblocks, which could possibly contraindicate antiarrhtymics if two or more blocks are currently present, be it supraventricular, junctional, or intra-ventricular.

Bob Page shows a video of his daughter, five at the time, determining axis deviation using "up, up, down," "down, down, down," etc. It's that easy.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks for posting that link Chris. Somehow all this time I have not been aware of you blog. I Love It! Thanks for sharing your excellent knowledge base with us all

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
We are not taught about L/R axis in our 12 lead training. A few people teach themselves. Ill probably have a look over in the future.

the lifepak 12 will tell me anyway right? ^_^:p<_<:wub:

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
We are not taught about L/R axis in our 12 lead training. A few people teach themselves. Ill probably have a look over in the future.

the lifepak 12 will tell me anyway right? ^_^:p<_<:wub:
Same

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
We were taught Axis Deviation in my paramedic program but the focus was using as a tool to confirm suspicion of a cardiac event when the 12-lead wasn't spitting out information. We were taught nothing about using it to identify LVH,VT, or anything else.

ZootownMedic

Forum Lieutenant
VT will have an extreme right axis which is useful in ruling it in. I have never heard of it being useful in determining LVH though or any other types of enlargement or hypertrophy.....I didn't think an axis was a diagnostic tool for this, just examining specfic V-leads.

ZootownMedic

Forum Lieutenant
VT can have any axis, even a normal axis (albeit rare)!

Interesting....that is the first I have ever heard of it. I was taught that a wide-complex V-tach is going to always have a extreme right axis. This and being able to measure the nader point assist in differentiating it from say SVT with abberancy.

Please....explain?

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
Interesting....that is the first I have ever heard of it. I was taught that a wide-complex V-tach is going to always have a extreme right axis. This and being able to measure the nader point assist in differentiating it from say SVT with abberancy.

Please....explain?

It all depends on where the VT starts and how it goes out through the ventricles.

An origin in the apex is going to have a different axis than an origin in the right ventricular outflow tract. An origin in the right ventricle will have an LBBB-morphology and could have right axis deviation. An origin in the left ventricle will have an RBBB-morphology and could have a superior axis. Lots of options.

A picture is worth 1000 words, so while this paper gets pretty deep, the illustrations of the ventricles with accompanying ECG's is great and helped me a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

TomB

Forum Captain
This is one of the most dangerous EMS myths ever created (that VT will have a right superior axis). As Christopher said, a right superior axis can help rule in VT but VT can have an axis in any quadrant. The most important criterion for VT is "wide and fast". This is one area where 12-lead ECG education has done some harm, IMHO.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
So, I just read Tom's 6 parts to axis deviation.

Absolutely phenomenal read, so glad I read it. I was clueless before.

Now my question is, what happens when you can't find a lead that is relatively equiphasic, or can't decide which is the most relatively equiphasic?

Like this for example

lbbb_mi.jpg

How does one decide where to start on choosing a vector?

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
Like this for example
How does one decide where to start on choosing a vector?

Leads I and aVF are both positive, so you can localize it to between 0 and 90 degrees at least (i.e. Normal). Furthermore, looking at aVL you can see it points away. The perpendicular lead to aVL is Lead II, so it should be to the "left" of Lead II but to the "right" of aVF because Lead I is positive.

Somewhere between 60 and 90, probably closer to 90 since aVL is more negative than positive.

I've done up a drawing to help, where I fill in the halves associated with each lead's polarity on the axis wheel. Where they all intersect is where your axis lies.

axis-explained.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
axis-explained.png

Much cleaner picture. Lead labels are on their positive pole, dashed lines are the leads negative pole. Please excuse my inability to draw 30 degree increments.

Sublime

LP, RN
There is some great resources here for learning how to determine Axis in this thread, but no where that explains how axis can help in clinical findings.

It is mentioned that identification of Axis can help you rule in VT, find blocks, find LVH.... but I can't find anything that really explains how to use axis to find these things.