How hard is the NYS EMT basic skills test?

Chris1996

Forum Ride Along
I take the EMT basic skills test soon and I'm stressing about it a lot. Is it a hard test and what can I do to be less nervous during the test? Thanks.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
It is an entry level exam to gauge entry level competence of providers. It's an easy enough exam, and in my opinion is not hard enough.

Tried to com up with another way to phrase that, but you cant improve on perfection, so there's a quote from the same thread re NREMT.

As for your second question, the only answer is be prepared. You're 100% going to make more of it in your mind than it actually is. That being said, there is still going to be a correct answer/procedure and multiple incorrect versions. Know the difference. Study/practice until you know the material cold. If you rush to take the exam before you're ready, you'll just end up repeating it, making your ultimate success date after when you might have been able to accomplish it if you'd been prepared properly the first time(if that convoluted non linear logic works).

The bls exam is not significantly challenging. As quoted, its an entry level exam testing minimum competence, not an experts level test. Don't build it up in your mind to be an insurmountable goal. Most people who fail do so do to under preparation.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I passed it. I'm not the smartest apple. I've also been under "pressure" before. I just went in and took the test. The assessments are the only thing i can even see anybody remotely messing up on. For the practicals, when in doubt check pms(pulse motor sensory), and verbalize everything. "my partners now holding proper cspine". Instructors don't want to fail people(in my experience), but they will if you'll hurt somebody in the real world. I never really studied all that much for my EMT-B. It's common sense to me.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I'm assuming you are using the national registry skill sheets right? So you have the answers that they are looking for.

It's not that tricky, but you need to be proficient and practice. a lot. or you will get confused, you will skip a step and you will miss something. repetition is the key to passing

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Memorize the skill sheets, that's all one can realistically do. That said, there is yuge degree of subjectivity insofar as the supervision that examiners provide.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
@Chris1996 is this upstate or downstate? Anything that i've been involved in with EMS has been south of Albany(rockland) or in Albany, most lead instructors that i know of are very very helpful.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
It's upstate in Syracuse
Crouse's program or Upstate medical? I think i still know a few people up there. Good folks, don't be afraid to ask questions

OP
OP
Chris1996

Chris1996

Forum Ride Along
Crouse's program or Upstate medical? I think i still know a few people up there. Good folks, don't be afraid to ask questions
It's neither I'm going through the EMT basic program that rural metro has. Rural metro is a private ambulance company

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
It's neither I'm going through the EMT basic program that rural metro has. Rural metro is a private ambulance company

Ahhh. Well as mentioned before ask for help, most instructors hold an informal practical session before it.(not scheduled in class) I'd go to it and practice/ ask questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Chris1996

Chris1996

Forum Ride Along
Ahhh. Well as mentioned before ask for help, most instructors hold an informal practical session before it.(not scheduled in class) I'd go to it and practice/ ask questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah they do have a practical I'm planning on going and absorbing all the information I can

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
FWIW, I would argue it is easier than it was - they removed things (KED) that caused lots of folks that I have spoken to to fail.