How do you transport infant/toddlers?

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
My service only has carseats. Some medics put the infant/toddler on the bench seat travelling sideways, some install the seat directly onto the stretcher.

I'm a CPST and pushing hard to get something better. A. its DANGEROUS to transport a child in a seat sideways B. installing it on the stretcher is a horrible fit. C. most people dont have a CLUE how to get a proper fit w/ the carseat straps. Usually the kid is just put in the seat at its current "setting" if you will... BAD, BAD, BAD

anyway, I'm gathering info to present to our director. What do you use and how is the ease of use? Do you think/know for a fact that it is used properly?

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
We have 3 options:
1) Pts own carseat installed onto the stretcher, properly!
2) Captains chair has a fold out carseat which is nice, the problem is then where do you sit and still be safely restrained?
3) Ferno Pedi-Mate to install on the stretcher

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
We have pedi mates on each truck

R/r 911

JPINFV

Gadfly
Patient's own carseat if available, otherwise a carseat available through the company. The car seat that my company provided could also be used as a boosterseat if the providers took the time to retool the straps on the gurney to make what is in effect a three point car style restraint.

The carseat that the company provided was secured via a seatbelt going through the bottom as well as a strap and clasp that came out from the top and each side. If done correctly (not saying most crews would do it correctly if on a EMT-B children's hospital run), I felt that it wasn't a bad fit. Of course I always used all the straps provided.

sixmaybemore

Forum Crew Member
My service only has carseats. Some medics put the infant/toddler on the bench seat travelling sideways, some install the seat directly onto the stretcher.

I'm a CPST and pushing hard to get something better. A. its DANGEROUS to transport a child in a seat sideways B. installing it on the stretcher is a horrible fit. C. most people dont have a CLUE how to get a proper fit w/ the carseat straps. Usually the kid is just put in the seat at its current "setting" if you will... BAD, BAD, BAD

anyway, I'm gathering info to present to our director. What do you use and how is the ease of use? Do you think/know for a fact that it is used properly?

Erin, if you're on the CPST yahoo list, I know there are some professionals there that can share their protocols and solutions with you. If you need the link to sign up PM me. A trip to the archives alone may give you the information you need.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Be very careful if the carseat was involved in the mva. Any stress or unsure the device is 100% functional and non-damage should be ensured. That is why most use their own.

R/r 911

bkelley

Forum Probie
Current Guidance says that you should have coverage for between 4 and 99 pounds. Car seats and pedimates do not cover all of that range.