How do you stay on top of research?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Just curious about exactly how those of you who need to stay on top of current research - either because or your professional responsibilities or personal commitment - manage to do so?

Do you have a personal or institutional subscription to individual journals? Do you routinely search the individual journal websites for new articles? Do you search Google or Google Scholar by topics of interest? Do you routinely search Pubmed? Do you have email alerts set up through Pubmed?

Also, what journals do you follow?

--------------------------------------------

I use two overlapping methods:

• My RSS feed (I used Digg Reader) has feeds set up from a few key journals that I follow, as well as feeds from medical blogs and podcasts that I like
  • I use a really excellent iPhone/iPad app called Read by QxMD, which sends me email alerts when new articles are posted from the journals that I follow, or by keywords.
I am subscribed to several dozen journals through Read by QxMD, but the primary journals from which I find the most research that is relevant to my practice and interests (anesthesia and flight nursing / CCT) are:

• Air Medical Journal
  • American Journal of Emergency Medicine
  • Anesthesia & Analgesia
  • Anesthesiology
  • British Journal of Anaesthesia
  • Current Opinion (anesthesiology and critical care)
  • Clinics (anesthesiology, critical care, and EM)
  • Journal of Anesthesia
  • Journal of Trauma
  • Prehospital & Disaster Medicine
  • Prehospital Emergency Care
  • Resuscitation
  • Shock

I highly reccomend Read by QxMD. It isn't available for Android yet, but a new feature is that it can now be used online, without an iDevice (until recently, it could only be used on an iPhone or iPad).

No, I'm not being paid to promote Read; it really is just that good. :cool: