How do you respond to calls ?

How do you respond to calls ?

• From a central station.

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Mutiple Substations [Where crew(s) report and have quarters.]

Votes: 22 47.8%
  • Report to a central station and report to posts by system status.

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • None - we are allowed to "roam" our coverage area.

Votes: 8 17.4%

• Total voters

eynonqrs

Forum Lieutenant
I was wondering how you respond to calls. Please respond to the poll. I know there has been alot of talk on here about system status.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I know in my area, most of the trucks respond from their stations on the first call of the day, after which some return, some roam, and some get called to cover. Often cover ends up meaning that they sit in front of another station in the system whose units are on the far side of town...so...at least 3 of those options.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
The service I worked for in ABQ I was one of two night trucks, so we were told to just post centrally to the hospitals (primarily an IFT service). Usually wound up at the cross of I25 and a major cross street. They had free wifi, an iHop, and a dark place to sleep

The service I worked for briefly here in Denver I was asigned to a station, while other cars posted on street corners

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'm not going to vote becuase, at least for my history and the fact that I'm not currently working for a company, 'it's complicated.'

First company I worked for:

Central station to clock in, sign out units, and then to posts. I wouldn't quite call it SSM since it was mostly IFT so we knew what was scheduled and where the most active spots were by simply knowing where our contracted facilities were (hence, even the unscheduled calls came from constantly the same locations) and not by a computer model based on call history. Additionally, we had a 4-5 24 hour ambulances based out of motels who weren't moved to posting spots for covered. Additionally, ambulances that were at posting spots were allowed to rove around that specific area. So while the posting spot might be 1st Street and Ave. B, if your favorite food joint was at 2nd St. and Ave. C, no one would complain about it.

Second company: Central base, but we were allowed to roam if we wanted to.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
For ambulance we only have one station. HQ is there as well.

For fire and first response, we have five stations, but I am only out of the one about two miles from my house. It is an unmaned station, so I stay at home and when a call goes out I roll for the station.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Here in Auckland we have 22 stations across the metroplex and in any given 12 hour shift 30-40 transport trucks will be on the road with four-six Intensive Care Paramedic rapid responders provding mobile, additional ALS.

The vehicles (except the RRs) are based at stations across the City but can be responded from anywhere.

We have additional capacity to respond Intensive Care Paramedic Team Managers who are on-call should very unusual demand be placed upon resources as well as the Special Emergency Response Team (SERT - CBRN/MCI/Police Armed Offender Squad jobs).

Elsewhere in NZ it's very much centralised with vehicles being based at and responded from fixed stations.

No sitting at the gas station eating junk food hour after hour for us, we go back to the coizy station and watch telly or sleep :)

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
We have both a central station, and a free-roaming kind of deal. The 24hr truck stays at the station, the two 12hr trucks post out.

OP
OP
E

eynonqrs

Forum Lieutenant
For the company I work for. We have two substations, and a main station. We are a combo IFT and 911 service. We have a big coverage area and do city 911 and ALS intercept for BLS services. Our system status plan is to make sure our units are mobilised to ensure prompt response times when our rescources dwindle.

esmcdowell

Forum Crew Member
Volunteer service + 4 paid full time medics/administrators. Combination Fire/EMS. We have our 2 ALS rigs and an ALS qru at main station in the larger town in our area (~2500) one BLS rig in each of two smaller outlying communities (~150 and ~500 respectively).

whatevah

Forum Probie
EMS in my state is provided by volunteer/combination fire companies for BLS and the counties provide medics (fly-car system, 2 medics per unit). All mostly stay at their home stations, although the medics may stage at stations besides their normal units as long as they stay in their usual coverage area.

the local city BLS is provided by a community hospital doesn't let the units stage at the ER. So, they usually hang out a gas station in their coverage area or at the other hospital in town.

my IFT company doesn't want their crews crowding the office, so they stage usually hang out at a convenience store during the day. Night crews usually sneak back to the office.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Uhhh...I get into the ambulance and drive. :p

Ok... I work for a fire-based service, so we have stations that we are at unless on a run or training. Every truck is at a different station, and you do crew exchange at your station.

Fox800

Forum Captain
I guess we're lucky. Every truck is based at a station. 30-35 trucks on the road at any one time. Most are based out of a fire station, a few are stand-alone EMS stations.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
I was wondering how you respond to calls. Please respond to the poll. I know there has been alot of talk on here about system status.

Carefully

ten char

busmonkey

Forum Crew Member
I'm not sure how this would fall - but we report to substations and then we if we want to go for lunch etc, we can take the bus out of the station. We also have a central station.

1badassEMT-I

Forum Lieutenant
We respond from station. If we are not on a 'tote" to a doctor office!.