Hip Fractures

skyemt

Forum Captain
Hi all...

our community has a fairly large elderly population, and as you can imagine, hip fractures are all too common...

i'd like to know, especially from the more experienced providers, what your preferred method of immobilization is...

pain management is also an issue, as i've heard blood curdling screams from pt's with hip fractures...

thanks

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Take a look at this. I haven't actually seen one in use yet, just the promo literature, but looks wonderful to me.

http://www.armstrongmedical.com/ami/item.cfm?sction=3&sbsection=19&itemid=2430

We have a gianormous vacu-splint which we have used to immobilize hip fractures. Also in a pinch, a sheet can be tied firmly around the hip area and will work at least until you have them on top of of vacu-spint or other immobilization device. Also seen mast pants used for hip fx immobilization.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
"...allows for safe application at the scene by ordinary EMS personnel."

what exactly the hell is that supposed to mean

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
One should recall the anatomy of what is really usually breaks in hip fractures. In most cases of hip fractures, the neck of the femur is the primary source, since it is the weakest point.

I was taught by an orthopedic surgeon many years ago the reason of severe pain was the ability of the ball and the femur had the ability to shift around.

I have found the Sam splint very helpful in those involve more a pelvic or acetabulam (cup portion that the ball fits into). One can make an improvised one with a towel rolled and placed under the ischium of the upper thigh, and a sheet (folded into length) and tied around the waist firmly. Decreasing the proximal end is the main goal.

For pain management, I prefer Toradol, low dose Morphine, Demerol, or Fentyl. One has to be cautious that a pelvic fracture is not involved as well. Remember, pelvic fractures usually occurs in "two's".

R/r 911

emtangie850

Forum Crew Member
Depending on the size of the patient you could use a KED.. (Obviously use it around the hip instead of being used for spinal immobilization.)

Havn't done it myself but heard about it in my EMT class a few years ago.

-Angie

Last edited by a moderator:

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
Hip Fracture

An inverted XP-1 works great to stabilize a hip fracture.

medic001918

Forum Crew Member
Depending on the size of the patient you could use a KED.. (Obviously use it around the hip instead of being used for spinal immobilization.)

Havn't done it myself but heard about it in my EMT class a few years ago.

-Angie

I use a KED often for hip fractures with great results. It provides a good support for the injury while allowing for a decent way to grab the patient. It's my preferred method for these calls actually.

Shane
NREMT-P

Moshi

Forum Probie
I'm sorry to bump this old topic but can someone show me an example of how exactly do you immobilize hip fracture with KED?

leoemt

Forum Captain
I'm sorry to bump this old topic but can someone show me an example of how exactly do you immobilize hip fracture with KED?

Turn the KED upside down.

A sheet slid under the patient and knoted works great, thats what we do around here. Even the hospitals do it. No special splints for us.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Also, don't forget about the scoop stretcher to move these patients from the ground and then to the hospital bed!

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Hmmm. I had been trained only to do this for pelvic fractures, not for hip fractures

Thriceknight

Forum Crew Member
Our system has "full body vacuum splint" which work very nicely. We call it the burrito bag...though don't call it that in your PCR!!! I didn't do that....my partner did! Lol ;)

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I would be careful using the sheets though, too tight would cause excess flexion near the pelvic region creating real pain.

Jack Bode

Forum Ride Along
We don't "splint" hip fractures except to help stabilize the leg once the patient has been picked up and placed on the stretcher. We do offer pain relief with Morphine, 0.1 mg/kg, (can be repeated).

I work in an urban system with relatively short transport times. I suppose a case could be made for splinting for long transports in rural areas.

Otherwise, I see no reason to splint hip fractures.

Asclepius911

Forum Lieutenant
In theory the use of a pneumatic antishock garment is called for.. in actuality I've never seen one .. has anyone ever used that crazy looking sleeping bag?

FunkyAnesthetic

Forum Ride Along
Pasg

My EMT-B instructor told my class that the PASG is essentially worthless because in the time that it takes to put one on a patient, he could already have the pt at the hospital.

Having never even seen one, I don't know if that's realistic, but the Trauma Manual 4e (written and reviewed by a bunch of surgeon's and M.D.'s) states that the, "current recommendations are for use in hypotension due to suspected pelvic fracture, otherwise uncontrollable lower extremity hemorrhage, and severe traumatic hypotension" (29). FWIW, the book also suggests that in most urban settings, the short response times make the PASG less worthwhile.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
In theory the use of a pneumatic antishock garment is called for.. in actuality I've never seen one .. has anyone ever used that crazy looking sleeping bag?

Of course i have.

I am a dinosaur...

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I was certified to use them in Nebraska, 1981.