Higher dose fent as a premedication for RSI?

FiremanMike

Just a dude
Recently, our CCT protocol took away our 3mcg/kg premedication for RSI, going straight to etomidate or ketamine and then succs or roc. I had bought into the idea of some sympathetic blocking, pain and anxiety reduction (pre and post), and just general "extra sedation" granted by the pre-dose of fent. I've not really heard why we lost it (if I did, it went in 1 ear and out the other), and I just wanted to get everyone's feelings, opinions, and maybe some studies as to the effectiveness of fent for premedication during RSI.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We don't use it as premedication, but as a component of the post intubation cocktail. I think a fair explanation is, "that big chunk of plastic placed in your trachea is uncomfortable. Blunting the pain of that procedure is certainly something we should do as conscientious healthcare providers."

Last edited by a moderator:

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
3 mcg/kg is a pretty hefty dose of fentanyl to push at once. Kind of works against the idea of sticking to the hemodynamic-friendly induction agents.

The only reason I can think of to give such a large dose as a premed is to blunt the SNS response, which isn't a huge concern in most patients.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
I would be curious as to why they took it away from your protocols as well. Fentanyl is a fairly stable/predictable medication even in that dosage. We can do a Fentanyl/Versed induction for patient's in my full-time service which is a peds/neo program and our Fentanyl "slug" is typically 5mcg/kg.