Hey Everyone

marcus2011

Forum Crew Member
Hey all,

Just wanted to introduce myself. Im 17 and just passed my state basic exam in NC( i have to wait until 18 to get my certification). Im in a zero to hero 32 week class at LCC. I hope to have some good discussions with everyone here

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello my name is Brown, one of the helicopter medical doctors

Note: Brown's status as a HEMS Doctor is highly questionable

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Between Brown's incomprehensible babble about orange jumpsuits and helicopters you might learn something from the crazy bugger.

Other than that, welcome to EMTlife, I swear I've learned more here than I did in my EMT class. Take everything you read with a grain of salt, though, and do your own research, this is an anonymous board and anyone can say anything.

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
Hello my name is Brown, one of the helicopter medical doctors

Note: Brown's status as a HEMS Doctor is highly questionable

Paging Dr brown Paging Dr brown. Evac asap from memorial medical. Patients condition is severe boredom. Please advise of ETA.

oh and to OP welcome to the site.. There are some great people here and then some that just like to cause issues.

OP
OP
M

marcus2011

Forum Crew Member
Ive been reading around this site for awhile and it seems great on some of the info...Im in paramedic school now just starting from basic ( zero to hero class) and ya'll might be getting a few scenarios from me

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Brown is highly suspicious of any program that can take you from zero-to-Paramedic (ALS) in 32 weeks unless you are a highly experienced RN or other comparable professional with considerable knowledge and experience.

Do feel free to ask any questions you like of Brown

Oh Brown is not crazy, only skitzophrenic

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
can you explain the zero to hero?? are you going through a medic mill?

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
Brown is highly suspicious of any program that can take you from zero-to-Paramedic (ALS) in 32 weeks unless you are a highly experienced RN or other comparable professional with considerable knowledge and experience.

Do feel free to ask any questions you like of Brown

Oh Brown is not crazy, only skitzophrenic

Brown whats the ETA on that bird to come pick me up?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
can you explain the zero to hero?? are you going through a medic mill?

IF it's the type of program I'm thinking, in 8 months they cover everything from EMT-B up through medic

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
IF it's the type of program I'm thinking, in 8 months they cover everything from EMT-B up through medic

Man I just do not get it. Why go somewhere you are going to be undereducated and not educated on the things you will need to know. *shake my head*

OP
OP
M

marcus2011

Forum Crew Member

We cover EMT-B to Paramedic with certifications in PALS, ACLS, ITLS, AMLS, ECG all in 32 weeks...I will admit I would not suggest this kind of course to anyone who has no medical experience prior to beginning. At the end of the course though My instructor said he would allow me to take a paramedic refresher course which I think that I am going to do

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I dunno. I wonder that every time I hear of a program like that or a medicmill

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
We cover EMT-B to Paramedic with certifications in PALS, ACLS, ITLS, AMLS, ECG all in 32 weeks...I will admit I would not suggest this kind of course to anyone who has no medical experience prior to beginning. At the end of the course though My instructor said he would allow me to take a paramedic refresher course which I think that I am going to do
So if you would not suggest it to anyone without medical experience, why are you taking it?
And why the rush? You're 17, most private services won't even consider you for hire until you're 21. Same with several third services I've seen (mine included)
EDIT: And PALS, ACLS, PHTLS, and 12 lead interp should all be included in medic courses. AMLS and EPC or PEPP are also making appearances more and more. So what you're getting is nothing special compared to any other medic class, other than a breakneck speed which a lot of times in counter productive to actually learning the material. Do you need a real A&P class or any other pre-reqs to get into this program?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

marcus2011

Forum Crew Member
Trust me I completly agree but we started the course with 30. Lost 3 before basic was over and lost 10 when he pulled the section test on us. Our instructor does section tests at the school at any point in time though so it kinda weeds out the slackers

OP
OP
M

marcus2011

Forum Crew Member
So if you would not suggest it to anyone without medical experience, why are you taking it?
And why the rush? You're 17, most private services won't even consider you for hire until you're 21. Same with several third services I've seen (mine included)
EDIT: And PALS, ACLS, PHTLS, and 12 lead interp should all be included in medic courses. AMLS and EPC or PEPP are also making appearances more and more. So what you're getting is nothing special compared to any other medic class, other than a breakneck speed which a lot of times in counter productive to actually learning the material. Do you need a real A&P class or any other pre-reqs to get into this program?

True Im 17 but this has been the career I have wanted for a long time. WE have to have college algebra and a EMS-3000 A&P class to begin the course. But when our class meets it is very intense. WE have sim dummys that do many things and our scenarios are truly challenging. I understand exactly where everyone is coming from here, but in experiencing the class and seeing the graduates, yes it is intense, yes it is fast, but the class is one of the best in the east of NC and has created some great paramedics.

also if you take out the basic portion wouldn't it be 26 weeks of intermediate/ paramedic? The only difference between medic and intermediate that i have been able to see is more meds and a little more scope

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I'm honestly shocked any program would allow someone under 18 to start medic school. How on earth does that work with insurance, clinicals and ride alongs? I can't see a hospital allowing a 17 year old paramedic student to do clinicals.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Welcome to EMTLife!

That said, I honestly don't understand why you seem to be in a such a rush, you've got plenty of time. I'm with JT on this one, why are you taking the course if you wouldn't recommend it to anyone without medical experience? This class certainly seems to be more harmful than helpful with it's incredibly short length, learning to take care of sick people and save lives is just not something that you want to rush through.

As far as the "zero to hero" part, please don't think that being a paramedic will make you a hero, it's a career that focuses on patients, not recognition. No offense meant, just sayin...

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief

there is a fast track class in Idaho, Basic is 3 weeks, and Medic is 6 months. Monday through Friday 0900 to 1700, plus weekends for clinical.

OP
OP
M

marcus2011

Forum Crew Member
Welcome to EMTLife!

That said, I honestly don't understand why you seem to be in a such a rush, you've got plenty of time. I'm with JT on this one, why are you taking the course if you wouldn't recommend it to anyone without medical experience? This class certainly seems to be more harmful than helpful with it's incredibly short length, learning to take care of sick people and save lives is just not something that you want to rush through.

As far as the "zero to hero" part, please don't think that being a paramedic will make you a hero, it's a career that focuses on patients, not recognition. No offense meant, just sayin...

Trust me i understand that being a medic does not mean being a hero. But if you look at the length basic is 6 weeks fast track. And the paramedic portion is 26 weeks all together. A normal paramedic class is around this length right?