Hershey Hospital PA EMS

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Anyone have experience there, either please PM or post here?

Do they hire people with no experience ever?

Sassafras

Forum Captain
All advertisements I've seen at Hershey at the very least require EMT-B and a year experience, however most advertisements lately have been EMT-A or I with a year experience. Great place for traumas, sucky place for medical and that's my personal experience with my own children. We waited 10 hours in a hallway to have them tell me oh he's having an allergic reaction, give him prednisone. The child had scarlet fever (aka strep rash) and needed antibiotics. Oh well, doctors office the following morning fixed things up.

However, a trauma code there is a sight to behold, and I've only done one as an EMT that was actually a preterm delivery on the steps of the hospital (haven't done traumatic injury there yet). As soon as we came in w/ lights and sirens (mom was rupturing internally we think) the ER techs flocked from the bay to meet us, did they're best to help us stabalize mom and baby on the litter, yelled "get them inside" where we were whisked to a neonatal team, an obstetrical team and three other sets of nurses/PAs and what not. They went into action told us to step back for a second (just get out of their way) as they worked their magic and everyone was officially stabalizing within minutes of getting all the proper equipment available in the ER. It was crazy. In the end I was handed some paper scrubs and a decon room, but it was like watching a well rehearsed dance as each crew went into action on their patient. Very...very...cool. I'm told for traumatic injuries, they will drag you into the xray/ct scan room whatever imaging room and have you report as they move the patient and start taking pics and that it really works like clockwork, but I've not seen Hershey in action in that capacity.

So that's my experience with Hershey. They say each hospital is known for their specialty around here. Hershey is the peds hospital and trauma, Harrisburg is known as the cardiac hospital, Allentown burns and Geisinger I believe has the hyperbaric chamber.

Last edited by a moderator:

EMS49393

Forum Captain
I know a prehospital RN that works at Hershey. From what he's told me, I don't believe they hire many without a little experience, but it NEVER hurts to try.

Once upon a time the department I currently work for used to hire fresh out of school EMT's. They're not hiring anyone right now because they are downsizing and letting the hospital once again take over the ALS care in the next few months. They're doing some insane paramedic leasing program, so they'll only be staffing their MICU with one basic and of course the leased paramedic from the hospital. I don't really understand how it's better then having your own people, but I'm just a paramedic, what do I know?

The point is that there are departments that will hire brand new providers, you just have to keep trying and not give up. If you can take some additional classes or clinical and ride time to put on your resume, that also helps a great deal. It shows that you mean business and were willing to go above and beyond what was required. I'd recommend paramedic school, but it's actually harder in my area to find a job a as medic then an EMT, if you can believe that.

Good luck, and let us know if you get hired!