Hero.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Being that it’s yet another EMS week, and in turn this word (which strikes a particularly nauseating chord with me), is being flung around left and right I wanted to create a thread post for the true hero/ es in our lives, and pay homage to what defines them as such.

Time and again, the entitlement complex bogs our progress so I say if anyone feels the need to share who it is or was that inspired them to be who they are feel free to share. I’ll go first.

My dad. The man worked many years of his life, and did his best to raise his 2 boys right. To instill proper work ethic, morals, and values. He displayed true selflessness and left an imprint in my mind so much so that I still strive to make the man proud...decades later.

Less whining, more work. Walk it, don’t talk it. Give to get, and all of the other tidbits that seem to be dwindling in society as the years pass.

So if anyone else wants to share stories of mentors, protocors, teachers, parents, whatever and any imprint that was left on you feel free to do so. Afterall, without true heroes such as these we’d all be truly lost.

Reactions: Eir

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
My mom. Worked 2 jobs to pay for our house after she and my dad divorced. She was a High school dropout who earned her GED and then went to community college and became a successful business woman. Truly an amazing woman.

Now she’s 80, and she has dementia and can’t remember who I am. I’m heartbroken. But I remember all she did and I smile.

She made me what I am today, and for all she did, she’ll always be a hero.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
My fiance for me. I keep putting her through hell and she keeps staying with me. Knowing i'll never repay it but just showing that you understand the sacrifices people make is enough. Believe it or not tupac said it best " There's no way I can pay you back, but the plan is to show you that i understand: you are appreciated." Relocating, finding new jobs, but she always believed in me since the day we met. Just hard to find somebody/people these days that do that.

Side note: like so many of you(@NomadicMedic, @EpiEMS, to name a couple) have mentioned on other threads pertaining to EMS workers being "heros". We all need to take a step back and look at society IMO, Garbage disposal folks, hats off to you saving more lives then I ever will. Water purification engineers, same to you... ect ect. Back to the point my fiance always relates it back to me as stop being so fixated, sometimes to relax you just need to look at the big picture and realize so many pieces come together every single day for life to work.

Props to @VentMonkey for making this thread. EMS week makes me throw up a lil' in my mouth too.

Rant-ish done.
Good to be back folks:p