Helpful Extra Certifications

John Willis

Forum Ride Along
Hello,

I'm an aspiring EMT Basic. Are there any extra certifications that I can take to help me as an ER tech or an EMT in the field? I understand that phlebotomy can be semi helpful in an ED setting. Any advice or wisdom would be helpful.

-John

Summit

Critical Crazy
Get your EMT first

Phlebotomy is good
EKG is good
PHTLS/ITLS is decent
Some places would like you to have PEPP which I cannot speak to.

The best thing you could possibly do is take 2 semesters of college level A&P + lab and then a semester of Pathophysiology

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
The best thing you could possibly do is take 2 semesters of college level A&P + lab and then a semester of Pathophysiology

This. Plus your P card.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Aye,...

A real Anatomy & Physiology course. Especially if you plan to go further. This will also help to explain the "why" and "how" for a lot of stuff.

For the ER: Phlebotomy, EKGs.

In general: Trauma Life Support (either brand), GEMS (Geriatric Education for EMS),

If you live in Chigaco, Detroit, or Baltimore..., TCCC.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Aye,...

A real Anatomy & Physiology course. Especially if you plan to go further. This will also help to explain the "why" and "how" for a lot of stuff.

Any thoughts on online A&P?

CALEMT

Any thoughts on online A&P?

I personally learn better in a classroom setting. I would recommend the classroom setting, especially with A&P when you're first learning it. Plus it helps if you have labs associated with the class.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I personally learn better in a classroom setting. I would recommend the classroom setting, especially with A&P when you're first learning it. Plus it helps if you have labs associated with the class.
Makes sense to me. I'm curious because I was thinking about using A&P for some NREMT recert credit, and I don't think they would mind as long as it's accredited.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Makes sense to me. I'm curious because I was thinking about using A&P for some NREMT recert credit, and I don't think they would mind as long as it's accredited.
I used a college course for NREMTP credit some years ago and it received the full course hours. As you said, it has to be an accredited educational institution and medically related.

CALEMT

I used a college course for NREMTP credit some years ago and it received the full course hours. As you said, it has to be an accredited educational institution and medically related.

Wait, you can use a medically related college course such as A&P for I'm guessing CE's for you NREMT or NRP?

dutemplar

Forum Captain
From the NR website:
Credit can be applied for college courses that relate to your role as an EMS professional (1 college credit = 8 hours of continuing education, not to exceed 24 hours per topic). For example, but not limited to anatomy, physiology, biology, chemistry, pharmacology, psychology, sociology, statistics, etc.

It's more for that "other" category of con-ed. I know of at least two medic->RNs that applied nursing courses for assessment, etc.. to cover some of the core hours as well, as appropriate. That's more of a "send in course outline" and someone plugs and chugs hours away here and there.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
From the NR website:
Credit can be applied for college courses that relate to your role as an EMS professional (1 college credit = 8 hours of continuing education, not to exceed 24 hours per topic). For example, but not limited to anatomy, physiology, biology, chemistry, pharmacology, psychology, sociology, statistics, etc.

It's more for that "other" category of con-ed. I know of at least two medic->RNs that applied nursing courses for assessment, etc.. to cover some of the core hours as well, as appropriate. That's more of a "send in course outline" and someone plugs and chugs hours away here and there.

Did they need any other info beyond the syllabus?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Wait, you can use a medically related college course such as A&P for I'm guessing CE's for you NREMT or NRP?
CA state accepts college classes relating to the healthcare field as CEs also.

CALEMT

Oh cool. I just counted up all my CE's and I have plenty to recert with CA. Thought about letting my NREMT lapse, but if I have the necessary things to recert I might as well.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh cool. I just counted up all my CE's and I have plenty to recert with CA. Thought about letting my NREMT lapse, but if I have the necessary things to recert I might as well.
Ought to keep NREMT -- it's well worth hanging on to.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe

1 academic credit = 8 hrs of CE, to be exact. A simple 3 units course in something easy, such as Psych 41, covers it nicely. Something to consider - the LACCD has plenty of accelerated hybrid classes that include healthcare related ones, and it's only 8 weeks long instead of a full blown term.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
1 academic credit = 8 hrs of CE, to be exact. A simple 3 units course in something easy, such as Psych 41, covers it nicely. Something to consider - the LACCD has plenty of accelerated hybrid classes that include healthcare related ones, and it's only 8 weeks long instead of a full blown term.
Not entirely true. For REMSA (riverside county):

A. One academic semester unit will be equivalent to 15 CE hours.
B. One academic quarter unit will be equivalent to 10 CE hours.

Taken directly from REMSA recertification policy.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Not entirely true. For REMSA (riverside county):

A. One academic semester unit will be equivalent to 15 CE hours.
B. One academic quarter unit will be equivalent to 10 CE hours.

Taken directly from REMSA recertification policy.

Ah, that's even better. LACo are being arse backwards, as usual.