Help with monitors...

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
Howdy folks,

Quick question- We use Zoll E Series monitors at my agency, and I've run into the problem on almost every call, doesn't matter what monitor I am using. My lead wires always always always always always get tangled up. Even after every call, I neatly place them back in the back pouch and when I pull them out the next time.. its a big ole mess! Does anyone have any tips, ideas, or tricks up their sleeves to pass along to me? All responses are appreciated. Thanks!

Stephanie.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
If you're talking 12 lead wires, I like to tape certain wires together in several places, v1 v2, v3 v4, v5 v6. For three leads, as long as I keep the electrodes attached they stay pretty well untangles

OP
OP
Stephanie.

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
I keep my electrodes attached to both, my 12 & 3 lead. I may have to try the tape on the 12s..... but I most commonly use the 3. Just takes a few extra seconds trying to pull and untwist them. Just frustrating.

feldy

Forum Captain
try coiling them up around your hand and leave the lead tips just hanging out of the zipper or snap. We use the phillips so im not familiar with the zoll case but that seems to work for me. I usually dont have any problems.

Iceman26

Forum Crew Member
try coiling them up around your hand and leave the lead tips just hanging out of the zipper or snap. We use the phillips so im not familiar with the zoll case but that seems to work for me. I usually dont have any problems.

You can do this with the Zoll, too. It's what I do and usually works out pretty well.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
When you roll them up roll them from the back end toward the pads this way when you pull them out they uncoil a little easier. Think of it like a garden hose. You wouldn't roll up a hose with the open end on the inside of the roll.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
When you roll them up roll them from the back end toward the pads this way when you pull them out they uncoil a little easier. Think of it like a garden hose. You wouldn't roll up a hose with the open end on the inside of the roll.

This is what I was going to say, and it bears repeating.. when you go to roll up the cables, start at the monitor end of the cord and roll them around your hand, ending with the pt end on the outside of the roll. Store them flat inside the pocket, separated from all other cords if possible.

I usually put the monitoring leads all the way at the bottom of the pocket, then the sat cable, then bp. That's usually the order you put them on, anyway.

amessernremtp

Forum Probie
Try alternating over and under coils...works on my zoll and LP 15. Never tangles till my partner coils them...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

bigbaldguy

Somebody needs to invent retractable cables on monitors like the power cords on some irons.

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
Somebody needs to invent retractable cables on monitors like the power cords on some irons.

I like that idea! It could be a module where the pouch currently is on our LPs. You could pull out your first 4 leads separately and then the V leads as a group! With little color coding dots around the pull-out area to easily identify them. I like it! They would need to lock at full extension and then have an easy button to "Zip!" them all back in.

Nerd13

Forum Lieutenant
Howdy folks,

Quick question- We use Zoll E Series monitors at my agency, and I've run into the problem on almost every call, doesn't matter what monitor I am using. My lead wires always always always always always get tangled up. Even after every call, I neatly place them back in the back pouch and when I pull them out the next time.. its a big ole mess! Does anyone have any tips, ideas, or tricks up their sleeves to pass along to me? All responses are appreciated. Thanks!

Stephanie.

I know how you feel. We use the same monitors and despite all the little tricks on here it's nearly impossible to keep them from being tangled. I usually just tell patients that I'm an expert at tangling things haha. The tape idea is kinda cool though it would only serve to anger the rest of the crews who use it I'm sure.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
the lifepak 15 has bluetooth and so does the phillips mrx i believe.
I think amessernremtp was referring to a bluetooth patient module (sort of like the wireless telly packs), but much smaller, so you have no tangle between the patient and the monitor... was that what you were getting at?

I'm sure many services use the bluetooth transmission of EKGs to their PCR, no?

bigbaldguy

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
They used to sell a pair of "combs" for the lead wires

One held the limb leads, the other held the chest leads. They were rubbery plastic and you sort of slipped each wire into its slot. Not perfect, but far better than nothing. Otherwise, as above.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

I do it this way with our E and M series Zolls at my service. It seems to work the best.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
For the limb leads we have a sliding plastic clip kind of thing. You slide it to the end of the leads after your done with a call and it helps prevent them from getting tangled. Then when you need to use them you just slide the plastic clip down. They still do get tangled but not as bad.