Help on what to do if you have a dead patient

Ross Nunn

Forum Probie
I had a question on the nremt the last time I took it. I do not remember what the question was but it was doing cpr on a patient and the pulse never returned. I put the answer that said to continue cpr and that to tell the patients family that the patient is dead. My question I am trying to ask is what do you do if you come across a situation where your patient died on you and there is nothing you can do?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Well yeah, if you have a dead person that's staying dead (i.e. no ROSC) you can't stay on scene for the rest of time beating on their chest, eventually you have to pack up and clear and go back in service, so yeah you're gonna have to tell the family that they (the patient) is dead. Why wouldn't you be able to state a fact like that? However, just remember to use Tact when in that situation..

The vast majority of cardiac arrests on the field simply don't survive. Most services are going away from transporting every cardiac arrest, instead only transporting once pulses have been regained. So if you find yourself working in a 911 environment you're gonna have this scenario happen more often than getting a "save".

As far as knowing when to call it vs when to stay and play, simply follow the protocols your medical direction wants you to follow...when in doubt call your Online Medical Direction..

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
and can you tell the family the patient is dead? or what do you do?

If you're not working the resuscitation, and the patient is pulseless, they are dead. You can tell the family this.

The important thing, however, is to use the word "dead," "died," etc. Don't say something like "they passed," or something else that isn't direct and blunt regarding the fact that they are deceased. It's confusing for the family.

OP
OP
R

Ross Nunn

Forum Probie
Well yeah, if you have a dead person that's staying dead (i.e. no ROSC) you can't stay on scene for the rest of time beating on their chest, eventually you have to pack up and clear and go back in service, so yeah you're gonna have to tell the family that they (the patient) is dead. Why wouldn't you be able to state a fact like that? However, just remember to use Tact when in that situation..

The vast majority of cardiac arrests on the field simply don't survive. Most services are going away from transporting every cardiac arrest, instead only transporting once pulses have been regained. So if you find yourself working in a 911 environment you're gonna have this scenario happen more often than getting a "save".

As far as knowing when to call it vs when to stay and play, simply follow the protocols your medical direction wants you to follow...when in doubt call your Online Medical Direction..
thank you

OP
OP
R

Ross Nunn

Forum Probie
If you're not working the resuscitation, and the patient is pulseless, they are dead. You can tell the family this.

The important thing, however, is to use the word "dead," "died," etc. Don't say something like "they passed," or something else that isn't direct and blunt regarding the fact that they are deceased. It's confusing for the family.
thank you