HELP! Emt-B Class

asconnors

Forum Ride Along
Hi all, I will be starting my Emt-B class tonight. I am super nervous. I have always had a hard time in school when it comes to doing things infront of people and testing. Does anyone have any good tips to study or for note taking. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Relax and read the book. Sit in the front and ask questions.

patzyboi

Forum Lieutenant
Make friends on the first day, and try to give a good impression.

You'll be stuck with these people for the next 6 months

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
do as much hands on as possible. Sitting back and watching your class mates do it is not the same as doing it. I have seen several people fail at the end because they were timid or didn't want to touch anyone, when it came time to test they froze as they had not practiced.

Reading your book is also a good idea.

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
Every class is different so I can't give you an accurate idea of what it will be like. My particular course doesn't seem too tough but I also have some background in biology and effective studying.

Notecards are really great for remembering acronyms or specific values like vitals for certain age groups, etc. I prefer physical note cards because having the app on my phone doesn't really encourage me to study as much as I thought it would.

Other than that, I really just read through the chapters and do the online workbooks. That's good enough to get me high 80's and 90's. When reading the book I like to focus on what I consider to be "effective" highlighting. This means not highlighting entire sentences but phrases, or just really important information that hasn't been repeated ad nauseam. If there's a "topic" word or phrase in the middle of a dense paragraph (I don't mean something already in bold) I'll highlight it with orange and then any following pertinent information about that concept with yellow.

Then if I have time to study (I usually don't since I'm busy studying for the MCAT and work) I just breeze through the chapter and focus on what I've highlighted. My textbook is pretty repetitious (which is great) but it doesn't make sense to read all of the text. If I'm able to be extra studious (like for the full exams) I redo all the workbooks online.

I went from reading everyday in the beginning to reading maybe once a week and my grades haven't gone down. A lot of the quiz questions are similar to the MCAT in that you can use reason and intuition to deduce the best answer. This really trips a lot of people up though so make an effort to get used to the question types fast.

Other than that you should participate fully in your labs so that you can connect the concepts with motor skill.

You'll be fine!

Last edited by a moderator:

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
Oh yeah and note taking isn't really helpful to me unless the teacher says WRITE THIS DOWN. An overwhelming amount of information being lectured is from the book, the difference comes from state protocols versus the book which is national (I believe).

I don't take notes but instead follow along with the book and just focus on the slides. You'd be amazed at what you remember from absorbing the slides versus simply writing the whole time.

I need to proofread evidently.

joegrizzly

Forum Crew Member
Now is the time to work on getting over being nervous and timid in front of people. EMS any way you cut it is an extremely social profession. You will be doing most of your work in the public eye, so start working on being confident. Not cocky; confident. Good luck man and/or woman and do whatever study method works for you.

Rudy Smith 123

Forum Probie
My basic class began with 20. 8 made it, to sit for NREMT.

You have a lot of work to do...but the text is interesting!

What works FOR ME..

*Be early. PRE READ TEXT, so lecture is not the first time to hear/see material.I like to write down(what i can) the power point outline, with the lecture. write down stuff from lecture that is bad *** or confusing..to check out later
* Find a buddy or two..that you click with. Bounce material off each other. team up..
*I set a week/daily schedule. with wake time, sleep time,play time,target study time....etc
*they say 4 hours study a day...get a library/coffe shop/home study rotation. Remember BASIC is the FOUNDATION.
*I like to get a monthly calender, and fill it in with as much information(lecture schedule,quiz date,skill day)and ahead of time as possible. *DO NOT FALL BEHIND.
* Pick a special topic(s) u like. I like shock, psyc, and pedi.. the pedi/ob final was the toughest(pass.fail) for my basic class.
*My NREMT had a lot o PEDI and OB. knowing your Vitals stats helped. and knowing the order of operations for NREMT PATIENT ASSESSMENT Skill sheet stood out alot on my nremt basic exam.
MOST OF ALL, HAVE FUN!!

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
Oh yeah and note taking isn't really helpful to me unless the teacher says WRITE THIS DOWN. An overwhelming amount of information being lectured is from the book, the difference comes from state protocols versus the book which is national (I believe).

I don't take notes but instead follow along with the book and just focus on the slides. You'd be amazed at what you remember from absorbing the slides versus simply writing the whole time.

I'm the opposite way. If I don't take notes, I'm likely to forget what is being said or shown. Since I type a lot faster than I write, I took a laptop to class and would type my notes. Even if things got repeated over and over, I would type them over and over, since repetition helps me remember.

Oh, and I second the 'pre-read the chapter' tip. If your instructor hands out a syllabus with each class's topic listed, read the chapter on that topic before class. That way the class is a reminder, more than a lesson.

Another good tip would be to find a study-buddy, whether it's another student or an already licensed EMT to help you go over what's in the chapters.

For anatomy, I found it useful to pick up some 'temporary tattoo' pens and draw notes on my skin. Good for labeling the locations of bones, muscles, organs, and landmarks. Gel-pens work well if you use lotion to moisturize the skin first. Most of the ones I tried would wash off with soap and water afterwards. I recommend testing in an inconspicuous spot though.

If you're nervous about the practical exams, see if there are any being held before you're due to take yours, and see if they need any 'patients' or 'runners'. I helped out at 3 before I had to take it myself which both earned me some easy pocket-money, and gave me an idea on how the test was done. I got to see the common mistakes other students made, so I could avoid making those same mistakes when it was my turn to take the test.

Are you connected to a volunteer fire/EMS department? See if you can do some extra-ride time with them, even if you're just observing.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
Its not unusual to be nervous in front of other people at first. Itll probably fade as you get to know the students in your class better. Almost everyone at some point will probably do something that makes them look stupid, so dont sweat it.

Some people are natural showboats and might be really comfortable performing in front of others, but that doesnt really mean they will make good EMTs, or for that matter even pass the class. A few of our patient scenario drama queens and comedians failed in my class, while some of the shy quiet people were the top students.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
My basic class began with 20. 8 made it, to sit for NREMT.

No offense, but when you have a greater than 50% attrition rate, your curriculum, methods of instruction and student acceptance needs to be heavily investigated.

This isn't med school...

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
Make friends on the first day, and try to give a good impression.

You'll be stuck with these people for the next 6 months

This. After the first month, everyone started relaxing and we all got to know each other a little better. By the end, class felt like a second family.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
No offense, but when you have a greater than 50% attrition rate, your curriculum, methods of instruction and student acceptance needs to be heavily investigated.

This isn't med school...

We started with around 27-30 and ended with 17 or 18. Our school has an almost 100% pass rate for the NREMT, so that has a little to do with it.

I didn't agree with the way our class was run and the way the tests were made, but hey, who am I.

some1ne

Forum Crew Member
Hi all, I will be starting my Emt-B class tonight. I am super nervous. I have always had a hard time in school when it comes to doing things infront of people and testing. Does anyone have any good tips to study or for note taking. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

I don't like it either.... I think it's much worse in HUGE classes where there's 20+ people gawking at you waiting for you to screw up or freeze up or do something stupid.

It's not really the same as when you've graduated and are in the field. You have your partner...and who cares about the general public....

But there are many people with serious problems performing in public who just overcame them..... take this for an example:

Please don't let that discourage you! In my first year of nursing school there was a guy in our class that had a severe stuttering problem. He still would ask questions in a class of 120 and yes they would take him a little bit longer, but NO ONE ever made fun of him or put him down because of it. I can see how hard it would be, especially for him, he was probably 1 out of maybe 5-7 guys in the whole class, but he perservered. He didn't let it stop him and neither should you. If it's really what you want then I say go for it. Good luck!

Rudy Smith 123

Forum Probie
I got a dry erase marker, and on the bathroom mirror wrote out my..

*medical/trauma patient assessment skill sheets.
*neonate-adult vital stat
*what ever..CPR skill sheet

its the first thing i see in AM. and last thing i see in PM
something to look at while u do paper work lol

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
I got a dry erase marker, and on the bathroom mirror wrote out my..

*medical/trauma patient assessment skill sheets.
*neonate-adult vital stat
*what ever..CPR skill sheet

its the first thing i see in AM. and last thing i see in PM
something to look at while u do paper work lol

That's smart.

Rudy Smith 123

Forum Probie
"""No offense, but when you have a greater than 50% attrition rate, your curriculum, methods of instruction and student acceptance needs to be heavily investigated.

This isn't med school...""""''

Dont a lot of people drop out pf paramedic school? In Basic, we had (about 5+1 final)major exams for every area of study. And every exam someone would score less than 75%..and be sent home. At the end of the class, your FINAL EXAM grade had to be high enough to average will your QUIZ(s) average and MAJOR EXAM average be +75%. For example, suzie would need to have a final exam score of 82% , in order to pass the class.

every one that pass the class, pass NREMT.

slewy

Forum Lieutenant

The best thing you can do is practice and study as much as you can. If you know what you are doing/talking about you will not be so nervous. People mostly get nervous only if they are not confident in what they're talking about.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief

This isn't med school...

The honest answer is EMS programs see high attrition rates because their students are woefully prepared for any higher learning. If the class is taught in any way close to a college level program most folks just won't hack it.

In my area the barrier to entry to take an EMT or Paramedic class is extremely low (like $125 low) so you get anybody and everybody trying to make their way into medicine. Most have 0 study habits and are pissed you won't pass them for trying...

My best students are typically high school seniors or college students/graduates. This doesn't always hold true, but typically represents the field of people who are (1) motivated and, (2) have classroom skills.