Help An Author

Shane Morales

Forum Ride Along
Hi,

I hope it's okay to post this. If not, please remove and I'll go away.

My name is Shane Morales. I'm an author, and I'm researching a few things for my latest book. I'm hoping this is a good place to do it.

My book opens with a car accident, and I need to know what would happen when the EMTs show up.

So here's the situation.

It's a head on collision on a single lane rural road, around 2:00 am. The driver of Car B is hurt and unconscious. The passenger of of Car A is severely hurt (no seat belt). The driver of Car A is unhurt - she's the one who called 911. When the EMTs show up she is a bit dazed and bruised, but walking about and otherwise fine.

So what would happen? Would the driver of Car A be admitted to the ER even though she is appears to be fine?

Thanks.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Depends, is she alert and does she wanna go to the ER?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Shane Morales

Forum Ride Along
She's alert, and wants to go to the ER because she's worried about her passenger. And she doesn't have anywhere else to go (no ride and she's too scared to call her parents at that point).

Thanks.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
She's alert, and wants to go to the ER because she's worried about her passenger. And she doesn't have anywhere else to go (no ride and she's too scared to call her parents at that point).

Thanks.

Is Driver A a minor? Are any of the other individuals minors?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief

Thanks.

Depending on the responding crew's general attitude, they might let the driver ride in the front seat along with the passenger to the ER. He/she might also be asked to hang around to talk to the police...

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
The driver and the passenger are minors. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

Especially given that the other two persons involved in the MVC (one of whom was in the same passenger compartment as Driver A) have obvious significant injury, Driver A might still have injuries that aren't apparent. She can't refuse care, since she's a minor. The parents of both minors will be contacted at some point. Law enforcement may handle that.

It's a head on collision on a single lane rural road,
Do you mean two-lane? Not many rural roads with only one lane.

OP
OP
S

Shane Morales

Forum Ride Along
Especially given that the other two persons involved in the MVC (one of whom was in the same passenger compartment as Driver A) have obvious significant injury, Driver A might still have injuries that aren't apparent. She can't refuse care, since she's a minor. The parents of both minors will be contacted at some point. Law enforcement may handle that.

Thank you. This is what I needed to know. Now I need to find out what happens to her at the ER.

Do you mean two-lane? Not many rural roads with only one lane.

I meant one lane each direction. I thought that's what that type of road was called.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
What is the answer you're looking for? In most cases, they would all just ride to to the ER together, unless the less injured one really doesn't want to be treated and has a parent agree to a refusal (possibly over the phone). And if the latter happens, she would still probably choose to ride up front to stay with her friend.

Last edited:

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Forgot to mention that the first unit on scene would call for a second transport unit (if available) and just take the more critical of the two patients first.