hello! Tips for getting started in EMS?

phabib

Forum Lieutenant
Hey everyone, this is my my first post. I recently finished my EMT-B class and I'll be taking my NREMT exam on the 10th.

I was wondering what I could do now to maximize my chances of landing that dream job. This is everything I've completed so far:
EMT-B (class, clinicals, practical examination)
CPR/AED
Basic Disaster Life Support
Basic ECG interpretation

I'll be taking a course in February to get an IV cert.

I was wondering where you recommend going from here. I've been looking at a lot of job postings and all require a fair bit of experience to apply. Do you think a volunteer position would be a good start? I really want to make a career out of EMS, just need to get my foot in the door. There are lots of great companies to work for here in Denver (I've got my eye on Denver Health Paramedic Division) but i need the experience before getting hired.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
go out and get whatever gig you can find with a quality organization. do some research into this. if a company or volly squad has a dirt poor reputation, being affiliated with them wont do your career prospects much good.

when you do hit the streets, practice good evidence based medicine. stay within your protocols. pay attention. ask questions. learn. develop a reputation as the guy who knows his place and his limits, wants to succeed and wants to be better emt. work hard. stay out of the office politics. don't take sides. don't do anything stupid.

never stop learning. knowledge is a powerful thing. however, a little knowledge is a train wreck waiting to happen. always ask questions and make sure you completely understand something before you head out into the world to do it.

there's a few more pearls of wisdom, but I'm tired so I'll let someone else take over.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey everyone, this is my my first post. I recently finished my EMT-B class and I'll be taking my NREMT exam on the 10th.

I was wondering what I could do now to maximize my chances of landing that dream job. This is everything I've completed so far:
EMT-B (class, clinicals, practical examination)
CPR/AED
Basic Disaster Life Support
Basic ECG interpretation

I'll be taking a course in February to get an IV cert.

I was wondering where you recommend going from here. I've been looking at a lot of job postings and all require a fair bit of experience to apply. Do you think a volunteer position would be a good start? I really want to make a career out of EMS, just need to get my foot in the door. There are lots of great companies to work for here in Denver (I've got my eye on Denver Health Paramedic Division) but i need the experience before getting hired.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

If you truly want a career in EMS, you need to pursue your Paramedic education. I have yet to hear of a "dream job" as an EMT and you cannot make a career out of volunteerism. Pass your NREMT-B and get into school. Get a solid education and pursue your dream.

Explore all of your options, do not hold yourself to geographic limitations. You will find some of the best experiences (and pay for that matter) in EMS may not be in your state or even the U.S.

Be flexible and use good sound judgement. Learn the "why's" of medicine instead searching through a protocol book for the "what's".

Be considerate and selfless, remember, nothing in this field is about you, it is about your patient.

Do not get caught in archaic beliefs that taint our professional industry. Believe in the best for your patients and the community and not the opinion of others who's only purpose is to self preserve their presence (PM if you want more details or an explanation, can't bring this one up in the open as it tends to upset people and their tender little feelings).

Do not become a whacker! Do not worry or inquire about light bars, sirens, personal bags, belt buckles, and crap like that. You focus on becoming a proficent medic, not looking like a complete retard.

Never accept anything less than the best! You are the future of this profession, help mold it the way you see for the betterment of EMS. Take that step to move this industry forward.

While you're at it, have the other umpteen thousand new EMT graduates do the same! :)

OP
OP
phabib

phabib

Forum Lieutenant
If you truly want a career in EMS, you need to pursue your Paramedic education. I have yet to hear of a "dream job" as an EMT and you cannot make a career out of volunteerism. Pass your NREMT-B and get into school. Get a solid education and pursue your dream.

While I was taking classes, all Medics that taught us recommended at least 3 years as an EMT-B before moving on to P-school. This didn't sound unreasonable. Gotta get the basics perfected first.

Explore all of your options, do not hold yourself to geographic limitations. You will find some of the best experiences (and pay for that matter) in EMS may not be in your state or even the U.S.

I know the certification I'll be getting is National but I didn't think i could go across borders with it. Does anyone have any more information on this? I'm not sure if Canada would accept the cert but i wouldn't mind relocating there.

Do not get caught in archaic beliefs that taint our professional industry. Believe in the best for your patients and the community and not the opinion of others who's only purpose is to self preserve their presence (PM if you want more details or an explanation, can't bring this one up in the open as it tends to upset people and their tender little feelings).

Do not become a whacker! Do not worry or inquire about light bars, sirens, personal bags, belt buckles, and crap like that. You focus on becoming a proficent medic, not looking like a complete retard.

Alright, I need to know more about these archaic beliefs before I can stay away from them. I'll PM you. Also, what is a "whacker"?I've never heard that before.

Never accept anything less than the best! You are the future of this profession, help mold it the way you see for the betterment of EMS. Take that step to move this industry forward.

While you're at it, have the other umpteen thousand new EMT graduates do the same! :)

yeah, I know EMT-Bs are a dime a dozen but I'm in this for the long haul. From basic to p-school and then hopefully to helping in education. I'm on here so I can get tips from experienced medics on how to better myself as an EMT. I found through my classes that i need to supplement my studies with tales from the street. The medics with experience know how to use their knowledge for the patient in any situation, and that is something I'm trying to learn.

Last edited by a moderator:

micsaver

Forum Crew Member

Is there an actual definition for "a whacker"? Just wondering.

Excellent advice has been given from the other posters. One thing I love about this field is that the learning never stops. The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know, the better and deeper my questions become. Keep learning, researching and asking questions. Experience is also vital and naturally comes with time, but seek out a job/company that will give you a good quality/range of experience.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
While I was taking classes, all Medics that taught us recommended at least 3 years as an EMT-B before moving on to P-school. This didn't sound unreasonable. Gotta get the basics perfected first.

here we go again.

and because it wouldnt be a dissenting post from me without this guy:
bangHeadAgainstWall.gif

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
Is there an actual definition for "a whacker"? Just wondering.

Excellent advice has been given from the other posters. One thing I love about this field is that the learning never stops. The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know, the better and deeper my questions become. Keep learning, researching and asking questions. Experience is also vital and naturally comes with time, but seek out a job/company that will give you a good quality/range of experience.

http://www.policeposers.com/whacker.php
http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=48596

my apologies for posting links to another forum. it was either that or plagiarize the writings of others.

John E

Forum Captain
A whacker...

is someone who carries more equipment on their person than you do...

John E.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I'll cover ya kev. Working as a basic or going straight to medic school has been beaten to death here. Use the search function if you want to find more threads but here's a big one that's still very recent.

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=9472

What Flight- LP was talking about when he said not in the U.S. is with experience and education you can contract with companies that work overseas such as Afghanistan, Iraq or some others that are less war torn but the number of bullets fired in a day is directly proportional to the amount you're paid. Don't worry about that for now as I believe they won't even talk to you without 3-5 years experience.

The national registry does a good job of allowing you to practice in other areas of the country but you still have to get the state certificate for whichever state you're hoping to work in. Some states will be no problem and some you'll have to jump through a few hoops.

P.S. Canada will laugh at a U.S. EMT-B cert.

Last edited by a moderator:

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
I'll cover ya kev.

this is why i have nothing but respect and admiration for marines. never a hesitation to jump on a grenade.