Hello Everyone, New Member

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Hello everyone, my name is Maria, I'm 38 and live in IL. I took my state exam for EMT-B at the end of last year, am seeking a position with a service, and currently am on a volunteer fire department as an EMT to gain experience. I look forward to reviewing this site and getting to know some of you, and hopefully, will benefit from the experience here. :) I realize I am a NEWBIE :blink: and don't have much to offer at this point, but hope to some day. Anyone have advice on how to break into the EMS field? Will my age be prohibitive? The vollie position will help with experience, I also am working on my CE's, and can do ride-alongs with the ambulance service here anytime I want. What else can I do? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks. Have a good week, everyone.

snoslicer8

Forum Ride Along
I guess I will be the first one to welcome you, as I have been welcomed in as a newbie already. =) I'm just starting as an ED Technician at Baptist Hospital here in sunny Miami, FL. I finished my EMT-B training in Colorado at the end of 2003, and was certified there about 2 weeks later. I then moved here to Florida and went through a 5 month run-around by the state (changing this regulation and that) to get certified here (FL doesn't accept NREMT). I found that the only other option open to someone without experience in a bigger city is to join onto a private squad (such as AMR). From that point, I have heard it is easier to get onto a fire squad, once earning paramedic. Anyways, I am rambling now. Welcome!

-Brady

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Welcome to EMTLife.com.

Chimp

cbdemt

Forum Lieutenant
Welcome!!!

Enjoy the site, theres alot of great info here. Its good to see a fellow Illinoian too!

ma2va92

Forum Lieutenant
Greetings
I'm also new to EMTLIFE.. and loving it.. great bunch here... very good info.... and a heck of alot of fun..

Jim
EMT-B in training/old fart getting the brain cells to work

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I would like to welcome you and all of the new members to our little community here. I apologize for slacking off lately, but I am taking a care giver class that is required by the state (more on this in another post).

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Welcome aboard from Southern California, and sorry for not chiming in sooner, but I took the weekend off from everything fire/EMS related (nothing bad, just a stress relief break).

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Welcome! I'm still a newbie in many senses, and I can't tell you how much I've learned from fellow members.

Glad to have you, hopefully you stick around for a while :)