Heat Wave 2011

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
2011-07-22_15-27-25_615.jpg

Here in New England we are experiencing a bit of a heat wave right now... this picture was taken just a few minutes ago in Central Massachusetts... My company and many municipalities have addedd extra trucks, public cooling stations and are telling the public to stay inside. Us new englanders just aren't set up for heat like this...

How have others experienced it, or what are your services doing? Southerners, do we need some thicker skin?

Sent from my DROID

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Having trouble uploading a picture... its 105 outside right now.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Here in New England we are experiencing a bit of a heat wave right now... this picture was taken just a few minutes ago in Central Massachusetts... My company and many municipalities have addedd extra trucks, public cooling stations and are telling the public to stay inside. Us new englanders just aren't set up for heat like this...

How have others experienced it, or what are your services doing? Southerners, do we need some thicker skin?

Sent from my DROID

How hot is your "heat wave"?

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
its a balmy 74*f here :p

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I went through eight shirts and four pants yesterday, with a high in the upper 90's. I'm on the fire engine tomorrow for some OT, forecast 100+, working in bunkers should be fun. I drank over three gallons of water/Gatorade yesterday.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Yeah, maybe just some thicker skin ;) To be fair though, I'm freezing when it hits 50 :p

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
We just passed 105. Moved the thermometer into the sun and it shot up to 120. Insane.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
In a Boston suburb

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311369942.059346.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311369942.059346.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 215

wadford

Forum Crew Member
I'm in South Carolina and it got up to 108 here today with around 90% humidity. Sticky as hell!

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPKs2Quk6Ts[/YouTube]

We're having a heat wave...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wadford

Forum Crew Member
One of the best movies ever!!! Definitely one of my favorites!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
7pm at night and it's 98 degrees. The high today was 120. We are a small division but cover alot of area. All we really can do is try to add more medic units. We will take our BLS ambulances out of service and change them over to ALS/medic units.

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
It's 84 now, feels like 93. But it was 93 earlier in the day felt like 107* my damn shoes stuck to the asphalt.

We wear our bunkers, to all our calls fire or Ems. So, for me to put those hot bunkers on to get a refusal I'm not a happy camper =[

Niccigsu

Forum Crew Member

Sent from my DROID

I am in GA but originally from CT....The heat down here is a whole different ball game. They don't just have heat down here, they have the infamous "Humidity". Some days when you walk outside the air is so thick you feel like you can't breath. Summers in CT, as I remember them, had more of a dry heat....sorry if this makes absolutely no sense. A lot of people, especially in the less fortunate communities around here, don't have AC in their homes (imagine that) personally, I would die without AC. I remember the heat wave warnings we used to have in CT warning people to stay inside, here in GA, people are out mowing their lawns and sitting on their porches in the middle of the day...SMH

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
, people are out mowing their lawns and sitting on their porches in the middle of the day...SMH
LoL I intentionally plan my runs or bike rides for the hottest part of the day (usually a heat index between 100 & 110) :p

Just like cold, it just takes some acclimation. A HUGE portion of our city lacks any kind of AC, and we still don't make all that many heat related deaths.