Heading to EMT school in September- NJ

Redrick05

Forum Ride Along
So, yeah I'm both nervous and excited about getting started. I finally have a solid foot in the door, I suppose you guys get this question all the time but: What can I do to pass, and make it easier. Obviously I should study, and all that jazz, but the way the class is going to be it's going to go from Sep-May with one day a week, and a few odd Saturdays mixed in.

I'm wondering how will I be able to retain information all the way back from Sep once May rolls around and I have to take the state test. Also, I heard that NJ just stepped up the EMT program and I will be one of the first few classes to give it a test run (More hours and certs I think)? So yeah, throw me a bone :)

Thanks. :rolleyes:

stlukescj11

Forum Crew Member
Pretty much like you said... study! That's all there is too it. Know your stuff. Pay attention to the people that do it and study

TheGodfather

Forum Lieutenant
don't fluff the anatomy and physiology portion of your class.... a strong knowledge of A&P is the foundation of developing a strong understanding of pathology in any field of medicine.

duncklee5

Forum Probie
I am agreed with stlukescj11 that no need to get tensed,just concentrate on your studies and try to read or making a concept of your book chapter before your teacher starts that chapter by this you are able to understand more better as compare to other students.

MochaRaf

Forum Crew Member
So, yeah I'm both nervous and excited about getting started. I finally have a solid foot in the door, I suppose you guys get this question all the time but: What can I do to pass, and make it easier. Obviously I should study, and all that jazz, but the way the class is going to be it's going to go from Sep-May with one day a week, and a few odd Saturdays mixed in.

I'm wondering how will I be able to retain information all the way back from Sep once May rolls around and I have to take the state test. Also, I heard that NJ just stepped up the EMT program and I will be one of the first few classes to give it a test run (More hours and certs I think)? So yeah, throw me a bone :)

Thanks. :rolleyes:

What do you mean "stepped up" the EMT program? Are you referring to the fact that the graduating classes after Janurary 2012 will be tested on the new curriculum branded as "EMT" and no longer "EMT-B"?

Yes they did raise the required hours by another 20 or maybe it was 40 hours. But there are no extra certs that you need to obtain as far as I know...

And in all honesty I came across some of the new EMTs that did the intensive (20 day) course with the new curriculum and I was not impressed in the least. I am not trying to start any kind of debate or speculate where the fault lies as every class is different... But it was a scary thought that many of them didn't even know the basics like normal vital signs for an adult... I can understand if someone doesn't know every single mm of anatomy in the human body, but it baffles me how someone can complete the EMT class who believes that the normal pulse rate for an adult is between 80-120 and has no idea what the respiratory rate at rest of an adult is...

It seems to be that more and more instructors are failing to weed out the bad seeds... Or perhaps more and more classes are teaching students specific type of scenarios instead of the concept, which is why a lot of students are at a loss when you mix things up and don't give them the cookie cutter textbook scenarios. I know this is controversial and all, but do you really want someone to take care of you that doesn't even know normal baseline vitals? If I remember correctly, my EMT class had like 43 students at the beginning of the class, only 14 students remained at the end and successfully completed the class.

Anyways, enough of my ranting... Where exactly will you be taking the class? And of course I wish you the best in your future EMS endeavours.

P.S. If you haven't done so already, I highly advise you ride a couple of shifts with your local EMS squad as well as MICU. It will definitely help prepare you for the class and also be a great first hand exposure to what EMS life is like!