Have you ever...

tgoldsby1

Forum Ride Along
Had a patient hit on you, and if so, what did you do/how did you react?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Robby, this ones for you.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Robby, this ones for you.

:rofl: :rofl:

I agree. Robb, all yours.

Yes I have had a patient hit on me. What did I do? Said thanks for the compliment, said nope, and then went about the call normally.

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
I've never had one of my own patients hit me, I have however taken a few blows while I was assisting people in restraining their patients. Largely, I just shrugged it off and continued restraining them.

One time, the patient kicked me on an ankle I had previously injured, thus re-injuring it. I wound up in the ER to get that cleared (It was the middle of the night, otherwise I would have gone to employee health.). A cop came by and asked if I wanted to prefer charges, but she was in a full blown psychotic episode, so I let it go.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I've never had one of my own patients hit me, I have however taken a few blows while I was assisting people in restraining their patients. Largely, I just shrugged it off and continued restraining them.

One time, the patient kicked me on an ankle I had previously injured, thus re-injuring it. I wound up in the ER to get that cleared (It was the middle of the night, otherwise I would have gone to employee health.). A cop came by and asked if I wanted to prefer charges, but she was in a full blown psychotic episode, so I let it go.

Hit on you as in flirt with you :p

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Maybe unki likes being abused. Maybe he finds that flirtatious... [emoji1]

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You rang?

I get hit on all the damn time at work. Old ladies love me. I usually play along. If they cross the line I'll politely ask that they stop and escalate from their as needed.

Between me and my string of attractive female partners I had we were the best looking ambulance crew in the city ;)

My work wives and I would use eachother to stop patients as well too if they were getting to frisky. We were close enough that if it got to that point one would make a comment about "please don't talk to my fiancé" that way. The looks were priceless, always said no rings for safety reasons and it worked like a charm.

Last edited by a moderator:

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I want to call you "Handsome Robb" now.

Rin

Forum Captain
If they compliment me, I just say "thank you" politely and carry on with business. If they say they want to do something inappropriate to me, I just say "no thank you" politely and carry on with business. If they continue to be inappropriate after that, then I get firm with them.

If they try to touch (and are weak), I gently restrain them by tucking their arms under their blankets and buckling the cot straps over top. If they're persistent and not weak...well then, time for the real restraints.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I'm a little jealous of this bromance STX and Robby have going on lol

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm a little jealous of this bromance STX and Robby have going on lol

He cheated on me and went and got his wife pregnant.

We're finished :angry:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
He cheated on me and went and got his wife pregnant.

We're finished :angry:

At least I didn't cheat on you with an animal!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

I think someone took that one sorry.

We have a disproportionately large elderly population up here. I'm 22. You can imagine the rest.

I'm pretty good at deflecting such things (when my vanity allows :p), and when people get touchy I just make up things to do to distract them. "Oh let me turn that BP cuff, it's not reading right..."

Physical restraints? Yea those are for violent/combative patients. Widower grandma doesn't often fall into that category. There's places to sit out of arms reach. Be creative, don't strip patients of their dignity and tie them up just because you're uncomfortable.

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
Hit on you as in flirt with you :p

That's what I get for skimming.

In that case, if it's a compliment, accept it gracefully, if it's groping me, gently move their hand away and make sure I keep all the good bits out of reach for the rest of the call, if they want to get together later on, I tell them it's illegal for me to date a patient (I don't actually think it is in NM, but it is unethical, and saying it's illegal avoids arguments.)

Rin

Forum Captain
I don't think tucking grandpa's hands under the blanket is overkill if he won't be deterred by verbal means. I tend to let people slide longer than I should, hoping they'll see reason.

If I'm sitting out of arm's reach, I don't feel I'm giving effective patient care. Obviously I don't always have to be within reach for the entire transport, but I do have to get close for actual vitals and interventions.

The majority of my patients are elderly, but not all. If a patient is young and strong enough to be a real threat, and persistently trying to touch inappropriately, I'd say that falls under the category of combative.

Luckily that's the rare case, but I figured I'd cover all the bases for OP.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
DO IT DO IT DO IT! (Succumb to peer pressure!)