Have job offer from AMR,Liberty, and Ambuserve

Geriexpert

Forum Ride Along
Any thoughts on these companies or recommendations on first time EMT employment?

thanks

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
AMR. Ambuserve will work you to death with IFTs and they are short staffed and are burying their people out. Liberty is not any better than Ambuserve. I used to work at Ambuserve a while back and still talk to a few people there.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
AMR.

Ambuserve and Liberty are both pure IFT only outfits with not super great reputations.

AMR, even if it's initially for an IFT division, after a certain amount of time you can transfer to 911 divisions including ones where the ambulance medic is in charge of the scene, not Fire, even divisions out of state, all across the country.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
AMR, even if it's initially for an IFT division, after a certain amount of time you can transfer to 911 divisions including ones where the ambulance medic is in charge of the scene, not Fire, even divisions out of state, all across the country.
Like Hawaii:).

OP
OP
Geriexpert

Geriexpert

Forum Ride Along
getting to most amr stations is like a hour drive for me

liberty is 20 min away
and ambuserve is around the corner

if i wanted to transfer to 911 company
is liberty or ambuserve a better choice?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
getting to most amr stations is like a hour drive for me

liberty is 20 min away
and ambuserve is around the corner

if i wanted to transfer to 911 company
is liberty or ambuserve a better choice?
Where are you that you're so close to Ambuserve and Liberty, but so far away from AMR? Has to be either Southbay area of LA Co, South East LA Co, or somewhere in Orange Co.....which in either case you're in the backyards of and you'll be much happier at McCormick or Care than Liberty or Ambuserve

OP
OP
Geriexpert

Geriexpert

Forum Ride Along
tried McCormick
passed their tests on first try
but I guess he didn't like my interview qualifications
he also mentioned my high school in a strange way
I could only assume what lucas thought of me
but I am willing to give it a try in the future if not McCormick then CARE

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Deffinetly AMR. What's your city location? If your in South Bay there is a division. The old Jefferson Station is open. You go to Ambuswerve prepare for holding the wall at county with psychs for hours trying to admit to the er or transfering psychs from county er to exodus across the street your whole shift and doing the dialysis rodeo for patients that can walk. Same for Liberty. B. Scarborough is there nough said. CARE, AMR, hell Schaefer even though they don't have anymore 911 you would still be working for a reputable company with reputable people and I do beleive Janis is still around doing interviews, shes a sweet lady. If your complaining about an hour drive I won't even suggest Hall where an emt can be an emt. Good luck!

VentMonkey

Family Guy
im in gardena
where is the jefferson station?
Off of Jefferson. It’s off of the 10 in between La Brea and La Cienga, just east of Culver City. At least that’s where it was about 15 years ago.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't think there's anyplace to do your first year on an ift truck that isn't soul crushing. You spend all that time in class learning how to be a "hero" EMT and you get out on the road and find out the majority of bls is dialysis, discharges, and drs appointments. Once you burn that off, you can get down to the business of Ems, which rarely has to do with life saving and is weighted heavily towards transportation. Then, once you have your mind right, you can advance into a 911 system, medic and beyond. You're still mostly doing the same job(transport), but you have your head screwed on right. At least, that was my journey.

I worked for amr many years ago in Massachusetts, so I have a frame of reference there, but not for the other companies mentioned. I'm guessing they're all pretty much the same. Lots of calls, crap money, equipment that might work most of the time, getting out late, missing meals and holidays and so on. For your first year, my advice would be simply take the job that is best for you(which could be commute, pay, benefits etc.) Whatever your number one need is, go with the company that best fills it, get some time under your belt, and move on from there. When you have a real first person understanding of the business, you'll be in a better place to evaluate potential future employers. Your first year, it's really all about getting to your second year.

wtferick

Forum Captain
Schaefer still has Monrovia?
Once Amburserve bought Shoreline out.... it went downhill real quick...started posting units in Torrance and not covering for the only OCFA city...

olaf1988

Forum Crew Member
Schaefer still has Monrovia?
Once Amburserve bought Shoreline out.... it went downhill real quick...started posting units in Torrance and not covering for the only OCFA city...

Yeah, they still run Monrovia, I think they run a couple rigs out of one station there.

To the op, I'll jump on with everyone else- AMR is going to give you a lot more options than getting stuck in the IFT rodeo in LA County.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Sounds like the best option is to take AMR and then transfer out of LA county.....