Hard finding an EMT job in Seattle

Alxcargo

Forum Ride Along
Hi Everyone. I'm having a really hard time finding an EMT job in Seattle. I didn't think it would be this hard, especially with my resume/experience. I've been working as an Emergency Room Tech for the last 8 years at The very busy University of Washington ER. This past Spring I took an advanced Wilderness EMT Course through Remote Medical International where I received my EMT-B, Wilderness EMT & MPIC certificates as well as passing the NREMT. For the last 3 months, I've applied & checked back regularly at AMR, TRIMED, RURAL METRO & FALCK but there doesn't seem to be any openings. When AMR was hiring they told me I needed my Washington State License from The DOH to get hired even though I have my NREMT, but you can't get that unless you're affiliated/sponsored/hired by an EMS Agency. It's quite a catch 22. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers & thanks in advance.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Search for "Seattle EMT" here in the forum. It's been discussed numerous times.

Just as short version, WEMT is useless as a cert and MPIC is MORE than useless in Washington, ER tech experience doesn't count in the street EMS hiring process and it's simply a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Keep applying and checking back with each company.

If you NREMT isn't current, you may need to retake a course or a refresher to meet WA certification requirements. Also, it's an average of 6 to 8 weeks to obtain your cert once you're affiliated with an agency.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stoked

Forum Crew Member
I did my WEMT via RMI as well. Just a few points:

The majority of folks in my class who were planning on utilizing the wilderness portion and/or the MPIC skillset were already in a specific field where that training came into play, i.e. backcountry NPS rangers, oceangoing research vessel crewmembers or (was it Outward Bound?) backcountry guides. I personally haven't really seen any need for it in my day EMT job, but as my volunteer fire department is VERY rural*, certain tricks I learned have been applicable.

Keep trying at TriMed, AMR, etc, and don't discount non-traditional EMS providers (more in the other Seattle-area threads Rob mentioned).

*Rural as in 1-2 hours for mutual aid...Rural as in a 4 hour hike or 1 hour snowmobile ride TO a patient...And then back out.

Last edited by a moderator: