Handing out condoms while working

Would you be comfortable handing out condoms while at work and is it a good idea.

• Yes I would be comfortable doing so and it is a good idea.

Votes: 32 61.5%
  • No I would not be comfortable doing so but it is a good idea.

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • No I would not hand them out and I think this is not a good idea.

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • My department/organization already has a program like this.

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
So a recent post got me thinking about condoms, teen pregnancy, ect. As first line medical providers we come into contact with many people who would benefit from access to condoms but who for whatever reason won't or can't obtain them. Prostitutes, teens, homeless, drug users you name em we deal with them and let's face it everybody has sex and then those babies they have also fall into the category of people we deal with. So a couple of simple questions.

If you were provided with condoms on the truck to hand out as you saw fit would you personally feel comfortable doing so. Furthermore do you think this would be a useful program? Please answer the poll and please comment.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
a former coworkers would take them and give them out to every patient.

once you are on your 8th pregnancy, and on medicaid, something needs to be done.

sadly, to do so would not be "politically correct."

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

once you are on your 8th pregnancy, and on medicaid, something needs to be done.

Politically incorrect in some ultra conservative areas perhaps but programs like this are already present in many school clinics, hospitals, schools and even many churches. I'm just curious if individual EMS folks would do it all logistics and politics aside.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief

once you are on medicaid, something needs to be done.

Fixed that for ya.

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

Just a reminder folks this is an anonymous poll so please answer truthfully. I am very interested in reasons both pro and con. If don't think it is a good idea please comment or if you don't feel comfortable commenting but are ok PMing me privately that would be awesome too. I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm genuinely interested in the feedback on this idea.

EMSrush

Forum Captain
I'm creating a different poll option for myself:

Yes, I would feel comfortable doing so, but don't think it's a good idea.

Heck, there's not a whole lot that can make me uncomfortable anymore. However, I think there is a fine line between promoting safe sex and encouraging sex itself. Personally, I would be less than pleased if a public figure handed my teen condoms. I don't think it's appropriate and too easy to be misunderstood.

What happens if the condoms distributed fail (or user fail)? Would the agency become a target of liability?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I think birth control being more affordable to the masses is a more effective means of controlling accidental pregnancy.

BC is not cheap... Even $20 a month with insurance adds up for someone living paycheck to paycheck.

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

Again guys I'll refine the poll options at a later point. For now please try not to over think it. Just try and think about this from your own point of view.

Sorry EMSrush that hadn't occurred to me as an option. But I'll note it thank you :)

I know we have a few college based EMS folks on here and I would be interested in hearing if any of you have free condom programs in your schools and if the EMS department has and insolvent with these programs.

Last edited by a moderator:

terrible one

Always wandering
If you look at certain places in Africa where they give out free condoms you'll notice no change in pregnancy rates. Educating the population on the risks and dangers involved and why safe sex is important is more effective than just handing out condoms.
Would I feel comfortable? Sure. Do I think it'd change anything? No.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I would be fine handing them out (not much makes me uncomfortable) but I doubt it will work.

Yes they get a free handful of condoms but what happens after they run out? Call 911 again to get more?

"911 what's your emergency?"
"Dude, there is this hot girl here but I don't have anymore condoms"
"We'll be there in 5" :rofl:

Also my response area is filled with a lot of elderly citizens, gay, lesbian, transgender, and transsexual citizens so its not going to be much help with accidental pregnancy.

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

I think birth control being more affordable to the masses is a more effective means of controlling accidental pregnancy.

BC is not cheap... Even $20 a month with insurance adds up for someone living paycheck to paycheck.

Just for clarification do you mean hormonal birth control or condoms or both? For purposes of this particular poll let's focus on condoms.

Just FYI as you may already know purchasing condoms is one of the most expensive forms of birth control when people purchase them retail. They are however the only form of birth control that provides any significant protection from STDs which as community health providers I think has a direct tie in with what we do.

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

I would be fine handing them out (not much makes me uncomfortable) but I doubt it will work.

Yes they get a free handful of condoms but what happens after they run out? Call 911 again to get more?

Why not? We get called out for BS calls all the time. At least in these calls we might preventing an unwanted pregnancy and save tax payers 10s of thousands of dollars.

Also my response area is filled with a lot of elderly citizens, gay, lesbian, transgender, and transsexual citizens so its not going to be much help with accidental pregnancy.

Preventing pregnancies is one benifit of a program like this and granted might not apply to some of your population. On the other hand STDs are all very high in the groups you mentioned (with the possible exception of lesbians).

Here's an interesting article discussing the rise of STDs among the elderly.
http://theweek.com/article/index/224100/the-dramatic-rise-of-stds-among-senior-citizens

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Why not? We get called out for BS calls all the time. At least in these calls we might preventing an unwanted pregnancy and save tax payers 10s of thousands of dollars.

Why give the public another BS reason to call us out? We are trying to limit the number of BS calls thru the 911 system. My company started charging "patients" who call us out 911 for a blood pressure check or BGL check.

Preventing pregnancies is one benifit of a program like this and granted might not apply to some of your population. On the other hand STDs are all very high in the groups you mentioned (with the possible exception of lesbians).

The numbers of condoms that EMS would have to hand out for it to help would be enormous to the point that I would be buying stock in Trojan and Durex. Most of the patients I see are the patients in SNFs and not 19 year old Jane or 21 year old John.

I can't even remember the last time I had a patient under the age of 50 (not saying that they don't need condoms)

Here's an interesting article discussing the rise of STDs among the elderly.
http://theweek.com/article/index/224100/the-dramatic-rise-of-stds-among-senior-citizens

Ooh believe me I know that the elderly can and do "get in on".

Achilles

Forum Moron
Promoting safe sex?
I don't see why anyone would have a problem with that.
I also don't understand why people are so nervous to talk about sex in public or in the public education system

Anjel

Forum Angel
Promoting safe sex?
I don't see why anyone would have a problem with that.
I also don't understand why people are so nervous to talk about sex in public or in the public education system

Ya until one of the condoms you hand out have a tear in them, or break and someone gets knocked up. Then They are suing you for child support.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
For our community health clinical we did a health fair at the LGBT center doing HIV/STD screenings as well as giving flu shots and handing out condoms. I felt totally comfortable and thought it was a great idea.

That being said, the bulk condoms people usually distribute are horrible and always break. Just saying

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I don't think I would have a problem, but I am not sure how to implement a program. I don't think anyone would anticipate an ambulance crew having condoms on board so they wouldn't ask us. That would mean that we would have to just hand them out, and I am not so sure that everyone would love to be given condoms. I personally don't care if someone is offended by that action, but if you offend enough people those in charge would stop the program.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Can we just give out depo-provera shots instead?

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

I don't think I would have a problem, but I am not sure how to implement a program. I don't think anyone would anticipate an ambulance crew having condoms on board so they wouldn't ask us. That would mean that we would have to just hand them out, and I am not so sure that everyone would love to be given condoms. I personally don't care if someone is offended by that action, but if you offend enough people those in charge would stop the program.

Again implementing the program is a different matter entirely I agree. We definetly couldn't just walk around handing them out randomly :) Some kind of PSA program would be needed I imagine to make the public aware of the program. These PSAs could be targeted initially toward at risk populations I suppose.

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

Ya until one of the condoms you hand out have a tear in them, or break and someone gets knocked up. Then They are suing you for child support.

Do you think trojan gets sued every time one of their condoms fails?