Halls Ambulance Application

phile85

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys, I was wondering if Halls is hiring. How tough is the hiring process? Any advice? Do you need to have Kern County Cert in order to apply?

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
Hey guys, I was wondering if Halls is hiring. How tough is the hiring process? Any advice? Do you need to have Kern County Cert in order to apply?

EMT or Paramedic? In Kern County you can't get a paramedic card until you are hired by a company here.

That being said, my roommate works for Hall and he said they usually have openings, although they just picked up a bunch of EMTs. Their hiring process consists of a test, two interviews and a medical exam. After that you have orientation and field training which some people do not pass. Overall they have higher standards than most companies.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I interviewed there over a year ago, and did not get to continue after the first interviewed unfortunately. I filled out an application online, got called for an interview within a couple of days, and did one in person interview with somebody from HR I believe. The interviewer told me a little bit about the company initially prior to starting (she told me the pay for the first couple of steps, where dispatch was, how training is done, and some information about Kern County like I believe she said it was the size New Jersey if I recall correct), and then asked me 10 questions that were in this format "In EMS, you have to deal with X, tell us your experience with dealing X".

When I interviewed, I also found out that you are required to have this Kern county cert that certifies you to use the AED and King tube, which was an issue brought up during the interview.

Starting pay at the time was around $12.50/hour I believe.

I've heard nothing, but good things about them here at EMTLife. I wish I got hired there.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Ok so I'm about to apply to Hall Ambulance. I'm currently certified and working in LA County. I saw on their online application that the Kern Co EMS card was required to apply. But I also know they have a 7 week EMT academy for people who don't have any certs.

So will not having the Kern card hinder me in getting hired at Hall? Do they have a process where otherwise certified applicants from out of county get the county card? If not how would I go about getting the Kern card?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
When I interviewed, I also found out that you are required to have this Kern county cert that certifies you to use the AED and King tube, which was an issue brought up during the interview.

Do you know if not having the Kern Co card is what kept you from passing the interview? Did your interviewer give you any options on how to get the card?

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Ok so I'm about to apply to Hall Ambulance. I'm currently certified and working in LA County. I saw on their online application that the Kern Co EMS card was required to apply. But I also know they have a 7 week EMT academy for people who don't have any certs.

So will not having the Kern card hinder me in getting hired at Hall? Do they have a process where otherwise certified applicants from out of county get the county card? If not how would I go about getting the Kern card?

You do NOT need the Kern County card to apply. All you need is an EMT STATE card along with the other regularly needed cards to work. Once they hire you you will get your Kern county card during orientation training.

brian328

Forum Crew Member
You do NOT need the Kern County card to apply. All you need is an EMT STATE card along with the other regularly needed cards to work. Once they hire you you will get your Kern county card during orientation training.

THIS^^

make sure you apply for EMT and NOT emt academy if you have your state card

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I was talking about the AED and King tube card. I don't think it's the same as the county card, I am sure those are obsolete now since everybody is using the state card now. It's been a year, but I recall they brought that up with me saying I need to get one. They didn't make it clear that I would have gotten one during orientation. They seemed disappointed that I didn't have one.

Last edited by a moderator:

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
I was talking about the AED and King tube card. I don't think it's the same as the county card, I am sure those are obsolete now since everybody is using the state card now. It's been a year, but I recall they brought that up with me saying I need to get one. They didn't make it clear that I would have gotten one during orientation. They seemed disappointed that I didn't have one.

Ya that's the kern county card. And ya you would get it in training.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So how long does it typically take from applying to starting day 1 of orientation?

And what is the process? I'm assuming an interview followed by a skills test? Anything else?

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
There are two interviews, as well as a medical exam and all the standard tests. The time it takes varies as to when their next orientation is.

One thing about the interview is, do NOT say anything about fire. Hall views themselves as a career EMS organization and many people stay there a long time, some for their entire career. Fire is BLS here and Hall wants to keep it that way. The quickest way to not get hired by them is to make them think you are using them as a stepping stone for a fire job.

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
I applied this last month, and received a email stating they were not hiring at the moment. I figured I'd try again in several months. Let us know how it goes for you.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I got an email saying I had to fill out a Pre interview form on their website. I actually got two emails, but I think they were the same (after filling out the form online, I clicked the link in the second email and it brought me to the same page where it said both the app and Pre interview form are complete). So hopefully the next step is to get a phone call to schedule an interview. Fingers crossed!

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
There are two interviews, as well as a medical exam and all the standard tests. The time it takes varies as to when their next orientation is.

One thing about the interview is, do NOT say anything about fire. Hall views themselves as a career EMS organization and many people stay there a long time, some for their entire career. Fire is BLS here and Hall wants to keep it that way. The quickest way to not get hired by them is to make them think you are using them as a stepping stone for a fire job.

This is 100% true. Dont state that you want to go fire. One of the questions asks if you are willing to relocate. Click "yes" and for the personality test only use strongly agree or strongly disagree answers. Nothing in between.

I applied this last month, and received a email stating they were not hiring at the moment. I figured I'd try again in several months. Let us know how it goes for you.

sorry to hear that, we did just hire a good amount these last few months. Maybe next time.

I got an email saying I had to fill out a Pre interview form on their website. I actually got two emails, but I think they were the same (after filling out the form online, I clicked the link in the second email and it brought me to the same page where it said both the app and Pre interview form are complete). So hopefully the next step is to get a phone call to schedule an interview. Fingers crossed!

Good luck man hopefully you get a call back. Make them think you will bleed blue and orange.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
This is 100% true. Dont state that you want to go fire. One of the questions asks if you are willing to relocate. Click "yes" and for the personality test only use strongly agree or strongly disagree answers. Nothing in between.

Good luck man hopefully you get a call back. Make them think you will bleed blue and orange.

Good, that's exactly what I did lol

And thanks, hopefully I will

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
How long should I wait to hear back? Should I try calling a week after if I haven't heard anything?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I called Hall up earlier this afternoon and left a voicemail. Got a call back from HR within an hour or so, and now I have an interview scheduled next Tuesday!!

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Just finished my interview. Overall I think it went well, hoping to get the call back for the follow up!

I wore business casual, dress slacks with a long sleeve button up dress shirt, but no tie, and was specifically told to wear one next time (I'm thinking I'll prob wear the suit jacket as well).

Interview seemed normal, fairly standard stuff, nothing off the wall or curveballs lol

I feel like like I flubbed the fire question -_- I always get fairly nervous in interviews, w/ the cotton mouth/tongue tied feeling. Since I said I became interested in being a first responder and getting into EMS after I got out of the Army, they asked if I was also interested in law enforcement or fire. Instead of just saying "no" like y'all told me too, I found myself saying "no, not really, only as a backup". They asked for clarification so I emphasized those were only like Plan "C" if I couldn't get a primary responder EMS job and that I was far more interested in becoming a Paramedic than going fire. I made it a point to point out later on that I was impressed at how much pride they all take in the organization, and that I'd rather work there and be able to be an EMS provider than be a "gurney jockey for fire back in LA" (yes that was the phrase I used lol) so hopefully I didn't sink myself there.

Crossing my fingers and knocking on wood to get that follow up interview!