Hall Ambulance Bakersfield Low Down Good? Bad?

rural911

Forum Probie
Hey There,

I am considering relocating to Bakersfield, CA. To work for Hall Ambulance. I had a few questions before I do so. Does anyone work there now or have you worked there in the past that can help me out?

1.) What is the starting pay for EMT/EMT-P?

2.) Are there usually extra shifts available?

3.) Are there scheduled hourly rate increases?
[ are you paid straight pay for 8hr, then time 1/2 after, then double after 12]

4.) It seems there might be animosity between Fire Dept's in the responding area (more so than usual) and Hall ambulance crews. Is this severe, and ridiculous, to the extent that the Fire Dept is very reluctant to help on-scene, and the whole call is just uncomfortable (hostile work environment), etc.

5.) Is it an effective system with only one Paramedic on-scene?

6.) How are the EMT's and Paramedic's treated by Hospital staff i.e. RN's, Md's, etc?

7.) Do you call ahead via radio and give a report to a radio RN, or are you just giving a heads up of your ETA?

8.) How is the management at Hall?

9.) Are the benefits good?

10.) Equipment? is most of the equipment in good working order? e.g rigs, etc?

11.) Anything else you can add. That would help me make an informed decision of possibly relocating, and working for this company.

Thank you

SoCal

Forum Crew Member
Hey There,

I will try my best to answer your questions as I have worked in the Kern Co. EMS system, and have may friends working there still.

1.) What is the starting pay for EMT/EMT-P?
EMT-P = Base Salary of ~$36,750/ yr.

2.) Are there usually extra shifts available?
Yes

3.) Are there scheduled hourly rate increases?
[ are you paid straight pay for 8hr, then time 1/2 after, then double after 12]

Yes straight through 8hrs, time and a half till 12 double after 12hrs.

4.) It seems there might be animosity between Fire Dept's in the responding area (more so than usual) and Hall ambulance crews. Is this severe, and ridiculous, to the extent that the Fire Dept is very reluctant to help on-scene, and the whole call is just uncomfortable (hostile work environment), etc.

This is decided on how you want to act towards the FFs onscene. When I worked there I treated them just as well as my partner because we work as a team. I never had a problem with ANY FFs. There are some people that whole animosity towards the FFs due to their wages/benefits what have you but it is a good working relationship if you establish that they will be treated just the same as a member of your team.

5.) Is it an effective system with only one Paramedic on-scene?
Effective? Yes. Sometimes it becomes a juggling act (rural, multi pt. MVA) but as a Kern Co. Medic you learn to manage. Once you get the system down, it is the most fun place to work with a great working relationship with the Dr.s and EMS department.

6.) How are the EMT's and Paramedic's treated by Hospital staff i.e. RN's, Md's, etc?
Great, end of story. The medical staff trusts the knowledge of the EMS providers and have the utmost respect for the EMS crews. ( sure there are a couple bad apples but don't let them ruin the bunch.)

7.) Do you call ahead via radio and give a report to a radio RN, or are you just giving a heads up of your ETA?
Basically a quick heads up with a short report, (Pt. age, C/C, pertinent Hx, GCS, V/S, Treatments, ETA) Full report upon arrival.

8.) How is the management at Hall?
Good, Focused on a common goal. (Some politics but as long as you stay out of the rumor mill and gossip wheel you will be just fine)

9.) Are the benefits good?
Couldn't tell you sorry.

10.) Equipment? is most of the equipment in good working order? e.g rigs, etc?
Yes, Hall loves to have the brightest and shiniest rigs around. They take care of their equipment really well.

11.) Anything else you can add. That would help me make an informed decision of possibly relocating, and working for this company.

If a CAREER in EMS is what you want then Hall is a great place with yearly performance evals. and raises, benefits and a great EMS system. Once you get some seniority you can bid out of metro Bakersfield to an outlying area and work 48hr shifts. (on 2 days, off 2, on 2, off 2, on 2, off 8) ... Great schedule if you ask me....

Thank you
Welcome!

OP
OP
R

rural911

Forum Probie
Thank you for the info. It seems all-in-all, it's not bad working for Hall.
Do you happen to know what the Medics pay peeks at per hr?

Also, I plan to start with them as an EMT, while I finish my medic stuff. Do you happen to know how the "geting on an ALS rig" works? Is it by seniority? experience? etc...And if by seniority, in your experience how long did it take an EMT to be able to work on an ALS unit?

Further, do the Medic rigs also do inter facility transfers, or are they dedicated to the 911 system only, and not pulled for interfacility trans?

Lastly, Is it easy to be promoted from EMT to Paramedic with Hall once you have all the needed certs. Meaning, do they promote well from within, or is it better to just come in as a Paramedic? (I wanted to come in early as an EMT to learn the area)

Thanks much!

SoCal

Forum Crew Member
Thank you for the info. It seems all-in-all, it's not bad working for Hall.
Do you happen to know what the Medics pay peeks at per hr?
Per hr. rates differ because it differs depending on what shift you work (8, 12 or 24 hr car have different pay rates per hr.)

Also, I plan to start with them as an EMT, while I finish my medic stuff. Do you happen to know how the "geting on an ALS rig" works? Is it by seniority? experience? etc...And if by seniority, in your experience how long did it take an EMT to be able to work on an ALS unit?
If they hire you there is a good chance to be on a 9-1-1 rig, they don't hire you as a "9-1-1" EMT or IFT EMT. There are days you might end up on a BLS rig for the day but it doesn't happen very often, and you are dispatched to 9-1-1 calls if you are the closest unit.

Further, do the Medic rigs also do inter facility transfers, or are they dedicated to the 911 system only, and not pulled for interfacility trans?
There are various situations when paramedic IFTs take place, however mostly your shifts are 9-1-1 calls. Hall uses system status so if the levels are low, no IFTs will happen until other units are available.

Lastly, Is it easy to be promoted from EMT to Paramedic with Hall once you have all the needed certs. Meaning, do they promote well from within, or is it better to just come in as a Paramedic? (I wanted to come in early as an EMT to learn the area)
IDK how far you are in school or whatnot, but Hall will sponsor you to go to medic school in Bakersfield. If you would like to go to medic school Hall will pay for you to go and let you do your internship for free if you promise them 2 yrs. as a medic. And if you decide to leave, you pay back whatever is left over on the prorated amount (Bako medic school is $5,000 so if you only stay a yr. you owe $2,500)

Thanks much!

Let me now what you think. and any more ?'s

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Did you end up moving there and working for Hall? How is it?